Leaving your DCP friends will be a hard time

The Disney College Program Doesn't Tell You About The Amazing People You Will Meet

Be prepared to meet the most amazing people you'll ever meet

215
Personal Photo: Alexis Cable

When I first decided to apply for the Disney College Program I went into it with full intentions of wanting to work for the company forever. For now, after my initial program ends in 2 weeks, I will be staying with the company for a little while longer to see what the future has in store for me until I find something more permanent back home.

What the program doesn't prepare you for is how many amazing people you will meet while being here. Whether that be people you work with or just friends you've made with other people in the program. Those people will truly forever hold a special place in your heart.

The hardest part of the program is having those people begin to leave you when their programs end. Some have to go back and finish college, some are just taking a different career path, and some are just ready to be back home. The program allows you to meet people from all across the United States and even the world, but the program doesn't prepare you for the last few weeks of everyone's program.

For myself, I didn't make the best of friends in college. I always had a few close friends throughout college but never felt like I had a ton of people that were close to me during those 4 years. But after coming down here and getting close with all of the people I met, I believe I truly found my people. I know that these friends are forever going to be a big part of my life and that's never going to change.

If you decide to do the Disney College Program, prepare yourself emotionally. Not only will things be hard when you have to start leaving your friends, but the work itself can be emotionally draining. If you are here over the holidays and aren't able to go home to be with your family it will be hard. You will be working a lot and you will start to feel homesick. But those people and the family you have built down here will help you get through those hard times and will help you feel less homesick.

My advice to any DCP who is feeling sad or emotional, get on facetime and talk to your family. Tell them you miss them and just talk to them for a while and I promise you that you'll feel better. Talk to your friends that you've made and cry to them about it because crying always helps. Watch a silly movie and get your mind off of feeling sad and it will help.

I truly believe that if you have the opportunity to apply for this program with Disney. Do it, it will test your strength and your character but in the end, you will meet some of the most amazing people you will ever meet and you will create lifelong friendships that you will cherish forever.