Did You Say A Purge!?

Did You Say A Purge!?

Social Media Edition

13
Did You Say A Purge!?

Forty days ago I decided to take a 100 day cleanse from social media and I must say this has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I can admit that I was that friend who was always in their phone, getting sucked in and lost in "the culture". Or in other words a whole bunch of mess that wouldn't even matter 5 minutes let alone 5 years from now. Wait, did I say sucked in, I mean completely stuck. So if you are wanting to do a brief fast or get away from all social madness like I have, here are a few ways it is positively impacted my life.

1. You have no reason to procrastinate!

I am the queen of procrastination, the ultimate last minute worker but when you eliminate the problem, the only thing left is you. I was the student who said they would start work at 8 pm, wouldn't look up at the clock until 8:15 and then push the time back to 9 so I can continue digging through whatever app I was on. Social media really was a crutch for me, a crutch to lean on so I could push back all responsibilities as far as possible. Which is the last thing any of us have time to do, because wasted time is the worst kind.

2. You get to learn more about self and less about mess.

With a show of hands, how many of us could tell someone more about something or someone else than about ourselves? Don't be afraid to admit it, that's step one. These past 40 days of freedom have really taught me things about myself I may never have known if I didn't take this time of isolation. I realized that I am a much stronger woman than I ever could imagine. Being dealt some of the situations I have endured during these 6 and a half weeks; without having the crutch or distraction there to help me push everything to the back of my mind. It forced me to face everything head on which in return built endurance and character I never knew I could possess.

3. Strengthened my relationships, especially with God.

I can shamelessly say I was the one who use to put off prayer time in the morning because I would reach for my phone and not HIS grace. Crazy right? Crazy but oh so common. I would push back precious time I needed with my Father (God) just to keep scrolling on different applications to the point where I felt stuck, where I just couldn't stop. As a result of my relationship with God suffering, it unfortunately showed in all other relationships. So with the elimination of Social media it allowed me to draw closer to God in ways and heights I never knew I could reach. It opened me up to the point where God could go in and fix matters I hidden so deep within, I forgot they existed.

And Lastly,

4. I've been having the time of my life!

When you finally put your phone down and look up you will realize how amazing life really is. I've taught myself Spanish (kinda), and learned how to do a rack of stuff I would normally pay people to do. Along with going into business for myself.

I turned all the time I used for social media into something productive and life changing. I regained control of myself and sanity and am actually enjoying life with no complaints and most importantly, ME!

So, If you are currently thinking about relieving your life from the social madness for a while, I promise you it will be worth it. Hopefully I helped you make an awesome decision that you will never regret.

Love you much

-Di