Destiny 2: Game Review

Destiny 2: Game Review

Though this MMO shooter came out years ago, it feels like things are just getting started.

13
Destiny 2: Game Review
Photo from Fortune

The sequel to Bungie's acclaimed "Destiny", a massively multiplayer shooter and their first game since Halo, released September 6th, 2017- almost three years ago to the date. The game received mixed reviews upon its release, but since has bloomed and grown into a hugely massive experience with deep lore, great mechanics, and overall a great way to spend time with friends. On occasion, however, the game has issues with clarity, over-complicating what should be relatively simple quests, and hard-to-grasp lore.

The core gameplay progression loops are quite good. Getting new armor, guns, ships and other treasures is generally satisfying although you get a lot of repeats. Bosses are glorious, the soundtrack is staggeringly good, and the game's cooperative elements stand out as some of the best I've played in recent memory. The "Raids" the game features, huge multi-hour long missions that require six players to progress, are thrilling, difficult, and an absolute beast to overcome. When a fireteam does finally overcome a Raid, the victory feels monumental and quite satisfying to say the least.

However, as mentioned above the game isn't without flaw. The quests are often intentionally obscure and strange, which adds a cool feel to the world but can be problematic for progression. The lore for the game is quite expansive and interesting, but is also so broad in scope it often feels very "kitchen sink" with too many ingredients thrown in and can be too much to digest when trying to grasp the story.

All that said, the upcoming expansion, "Beyond Light", seems to levy some of the problems many Destiny fans have had with the sequel to their beloved game. An entire new subclass that seems to give players the much anticipated abilities of "The Darkness", a long foreshadowed foe, seems to offer a wide variety of abilities that could seriously change the game, and in some cases even reshape the environment.

Destiny 2's future is looking bright, with three expansions coming down the pipeline soon. Considering it's free to start, there's no time like the present to embroil yourself in Bungie's new opus.