Designated Drivers Just Wanna Have Fun

I May Not Drink At Parties, But I Still Don't Want To Drive Your Drunk Ass Home

For whatever reason, your puke in the back of my car doesn't sound appealing

237
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS62TKHa0c8

When it comes to partying, I am what is commonly referred to as "the mom friend."

It's not that I don't like to have a good time, but as cliche and "lame" as it may sound, aside from personal reasons, I don't drink because I don't need alcohol to have fun. All this being said, although I don't drink, I still love to party and dance with my friends. However, because I choose to stay sober, people seem to assume that I'm willing to babysit them as they drink themselves into oblivion.

Let's get one thing straight: there is a difference between being a good friend and letting yourself get taken advantage of.

If we go to a party together and you drink a little too much, OF COURSE, I will be the first one to go get you a water and help you sober up. However, it is not my job to go to a party with you SOLELY so I can drive you home. I may be sober, but I'm also more than just a designated driver. When I go out, I do so because I want to have fun, not babysit other adults.

I wouldn't change my decision not to drink at parties for anything, but sometimes I wish I could change the implications that seem to come along with doing so. I'm not at your disposal just because you don't want to pay for an Uber, and for whatever reason, your puke in my back seat doesn't sound appealing to me. I go out to have a good time, not to be a free chauffeur.

All negatives aside, no matter what, I would always rather be the DD than allow someone to drive drunk.

However, if you know that you are going to be drinking, be mature about it and make sure you have a way to get to and from your destination safely without putting someone else in a stressful situation. If you're responsible enough to be going out and getting drunk, you should also be responsible enough to find transportation without putting someone else out.

All in all, if you choose to go out and drink at parties, have the time of your life, but just remember that those of us who don't drink are trying to do the same.

Be safe, live it up, but when in doubt, please just order an Uber.