Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas’ ‘Future Now’ Tour at the Barclays Center

A night to remember

18
Alex Feehan

On Friday, July eighth, I woke up at seven like I do every morning for work and started my day. Except this day was special because that night I was going to see Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas in concert for their ‘Future Now’ tour at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. I went to work anticipating that night, as I had been waiting for this concert for months.

I got home from work around 3:45 p.m. and shortly after three of my friends and I were on our way to the Massapequa train station on Long Island. We caught a train to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn, where the Barclays center is a five-minute walk from. We arrived at Atlantic Terminal and right as we were about to go outside we saw the rain pouring from the sky. We ran with a huge group of people to the Barclays Center, getting soaked in the process, all just waiting to see the concert.

Finally, we made it inside, all wet from the rain we waited on line for them to scan our tickets. After getting in we immediately went to the merchandise booth. They had a myriad of T – shirts, sweatshirts and so much more, that I had a hard time choosing between everything. I ended up buying an official tour T – shirt and a makeup bag.

After everybody bought what they wanted, we went to the elevator so we could get to the 200 sections of the venue. I knew that we didn’t have amazing seats, but I didn’t care I was just ecstatic that I was even at the concert! When we got to our section we walked in and I gasped, I had never been to The Barclays Center before so I didn’t realize how big it was and how high up our section really was. When we got to our seats I turned to my friend and said “I am not standing up for this concert, we are so high up, I’m just going to stay seated the whole time”, but of course I ended up standing and singing my heart out until my throat hurt and my voice was gone.

About 15 minutes after we got to our seats the opening act, Mike Posner, came out. He sang his hit 2010 song "Cooler than me" and 2016 song "I took a pill in Ibiza". He got lots of cheers from the crowd as he sang more of his songs and spoke to us. He was on for about 45 minutes and then the lights came back up, the crowd waiting with bated breath for the headliners.

About half an hour later the lights dimmed suddenly, colored spotlights flew all around the venue, the crowd was cheering at the top of their lungs and there he was, Nick Jonas, “Get on my elevator, baby we’re going up”, it was ear piercingly loud, and everybody was screaming and singing their hearts out. I absolutely love Nick Jonas, so I was thrilled to be able to see him on stage. Before Demi came out he sang a number of songs from his 2015 album “Nick Jonas x2” and his 2016 album “Last Year Was Complicated”. Some of my favorites being “Levels”, “Champagne Problems”, “Chainsaw” and “Chains”.

I thought that the ear piercing screams were loud when Nick came out, but once Demi did it was insane. The crowd was screaming even louder than before, lights were flashing and suddenly you heard the beginning chords of her song “Confident” and if possible the crowd got even louder. I turned to my friend and distinctively remember saying “This is one of the best concerts I have ever been to”, I found myself almost crying as she was coming out on stage because getting to see someone in concert who I find so inspirational was so special to me. She sang many songs off of her 2011 album “Unbroken”, her 2013 album “Demi” and her 2015 album “Confident”. Some of my favorites being, “For You”, “Fix a Heart”, Nightingale” and “Stone Cold”. Demi also surprised the crowd by singing her new 2016 single, “Body Say”.

Nick and Demi invited surprise special guests out on stage throughout the concert, one being Desiigner, a hip hop recording artist, who sang his hit song “Panda”. Another being Jamie Foxx, best known for his work in comedy, but also as an actor and musician. He played piano for Demi during “Stone Cold” and he and Demi sang “Georgia on My Mind” by Ray Charles together. He then performed the 2005 hit “Gold digger”, but without Kanye West.

As the concert came to a close Nick Jonas came back on to sing “Jealous” and to sing “Close” with Demi singing with him on Tove Lo’s parts. When they were singing together you could really see how close of a relationship they have with each other. As the song ended, Nick Jonas waved goodbye and left Demi to sing her last few songs on stage. The closing number of the night was Demi’s hit song from the summer of 2015 “Cool for the Summer”. It was such an energetic song to end the night with, the screen in the background covered with different kinds of fruit and vibrant colors, but just as the concert had began, it ended. The lights went dark and then the lights came up on the venue, signaling that the concert was over. One of the best nights of my life, the night I had been waiting for, had come to an end.

Having followed Demi’s career since the 2008 Disney Channel Original Movie “Camp Rock” and Nick’s career since I heard the “Jonas Brothers” song “Year 3000” in 2006, getting to see where the two of them are in their careers now this many years later was incredible. I absolutely love how you can see the close friendship between them when they sing together, it’s part of the reason them touring together works so well. I am so grateful to have been able to go to this concert and see them perform. Thank you Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas for being the people you are today.

If you are not already and would like to follow Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas on Twitter and Snapchat their handles are:

Demi Lovato –

Twitter: @ddlovato

Snapchat: theddlovato

Nick Jonas –

Twitter : @nickjonas

Snapchat: jicknonas

Also, if you want to follow their tour to see what is happening on it and to keep yourself updated, the tour twitter handle is: @FutureNowTour

The Future Now tour started in Atlanta, Georgia on June twenty ninth and will end September seventeenth in Inglewood, California.

If you can’t make it to one of their concerts, but still would love to buy their merchandise follow the link in the tour twitter’s bio.