Study Political Science In College And Be The Change We Need

I realized if I ever wanted to see any kind of change in the world that I would have to be a part of the change.

161

When I was a kid, I never had any interest whatsoever in politics. I mean, how many kids do? You always hear people say that they've known what they wanted to be since they were in elementary school and I have never related to that statement. The older I got, the more interested I became in current events, but I had never really considered making it part of a profession.

That was until America started crumbling to pieces before my eyes. How many times can a president watch innocent lives be stolen and do nothing about it? How can the president release lousy statements about thoughts and prayers knowing that the only help he is giving us is via thought? My entire life I had been taught to trust those in authority, but the more news coverage I saw, the more I realized that if no one was there for those people. No one would be there for me either. In the words of Pastor Martin Niemoller,

"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

I realized if I ever wanted to see any kind of change in the world that I would have to be apart of the change. And the most significant part of making a change is being educated on the facts that surround the problem.

Even though I can't tell you for certain that one day I will work in politics and you'll see me making huge strides for America, I can say that the option will always be there for me to decide because I have the knowledge and understanding that it takes. Even if I never make a huge difference- at least I will know the truth and will always be able to back up my beliefs with the facts.