Follow Your Own Heart, Decide Your Own Future
Lifestyles

"It's your life, do what you want, do what you love."

454

Growing up means becoming independent, and becoming independent means making decisions for the future. College, major, and career are the three largest decisions that are made when transitioning into adulthood.

But as we become an adult, aren't always given the freedom to make these adult decisions on our own. Parents, grandparents, extended family, friends often try to sway personal decisions of others. It is important to follow your heart and listen to your own wishes above all else.

I was lucky to have parents who gave me the freedom to spread my wings and pursue whatever I wanted. I was allowed to decide everything about my own future, without the bias of another individual. I told my parents I wanted to go to college, they were all for it. I told my parents I wanted to move to Florida, they were all for it. I told my parents I wanted to become a Physical Therapist, they were all for it. My transition to adulthood was seamless when deciding on my future because I was given full-reign over those decisions.

I recognize circumstances aren't the same for everyone. Others have family members who belittle their dreams and force opinions down others' throats. Some do not have any say over their future, but sometimes you have to go against the grain and do what is best for you.

If you allow another person to dictate your future, you will be miserable. You will be caught thinking you have the potential for more. You will force yourself to take classes for something you don't even enjoy. You might even force yourself to even go to college when you had no desire in attending in the first place. You will be stuck living every day doing something that was decided for you. Living your life pursuing what you're passionate about trumps living your life pursuing what another person is passionate about.

It is difficult to stand up to a family member, especially a parent. But with being an adult comes advocating for yourself. The key to conquering this challenge is communication. It is important to communicate to others what you are interested in, what makes you happy, and what you see yourself doing for the rest of your life. The parent, family member, or friend may not appreciate the confrontation at first, but that is okay. They will understand once you explain your own passions because everyone, no matter who they are, wants their passions to be supported.

It's everyone's goal to live out their dreams, why let another person decide that dream for you?