Dear Betsy DeVos

Dear Betsy DeVos

You are not necessarily a bad person, you are just not fit for this position.

11
Dear Betsy DeVos
Google Images

Dear Betsy DeVos,

You do not know me, and you are probably wondering why a college student is writing to you. I am a college student studying education, and I am very concerned for all students in America after hearing of your recent nomination for secretary of education.

In a recent video that CNN posted, you stated that guns should be allowed in schools to fight off grizzly bear attacks. Please let me remind you of a recent tragedy on December 14, 2012 in Sandy Hook, Connecticut. On that day, 20 young elementary school students were shot, as well as six faculty members. How can you imagine telling the parents of those whose children were killed that guns are now allowed in schools? How can you explain the logic behind this decision? Is it okay for us to give intruders easier access to a weapon that can take out numerous students and faculty? More importantly, this is my main question for you: how many grizzly bear attacks have there been in the past five years where students have been killed? I think it is safe to say that we all know that answer.

Besides this, you also have zero experience with public schools. You never attended public schools, your husband never attended public schools and neither did your children. How can you possibly understand the public school system and its needs if you yourself have never had any experience with it? Instead of supporting the public school system, which the majority of students attend to, you claim that you're not against defunding the public school system. Education is not a privilege, it is a right. All students, regardless of their disabilities or nationalities, are granted the right to a free and public education. How can you possibly be taking this away? Once again, through this it is clear that you do not have enough experience to be the secretary of education.

Lastly, I leave you with this: I belong to a family with two hardworking parents and a recently graduated sister. My parents both work full time jobs and saved money for college for both me and my sister. After I graduate, I will still have student loans. After I get my masters, I will have even more student loans. Not every student in America can afford a college education, and we need financial help. You lack this knowledge of what we need because you do not understand that not every family can send their children to college without taking out a loan. You and your family may be fortunate enough to be billionaires, but most American people are not. We need financial support, otherwise we cannot go to college. Your lack of experience, knowledge and understanding is very concerning.

Mrs. DeVos, you are not necessarily a bad person, you are just not fit for this position. Students need someone with understanding and experience to help them, not someone who will take away their rights or someone who does not know laws mandated in our education systems.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Future Educator