Dear First Job

Dear First Job

To my first job and all of the people I've had the honor of working with.

17
Dear First Job

Dear First Job,

First I'll thank you for everything you have done for me. Because of you, I got to learn the value of money and also how to save and how to blow through my paycheck in a day. I got to learn how to be a car owner and be responsible for my car. If it wasn't for this minimum wage job, I'd be without a car and the problems with my car overheating.

You've taught me how to be friends with someone even if it's for a short time. I have become friends with people who I only talked to while they worked with me, and when they got fired they never spoke to me again. I have made friends that are still my friends even though they moved on to bigger and better things than the fast food industry. I made friends with someone who is older than my mom and everyone in between.

I learned that being shy is an obstacle anyone can overcome. I started out at my job just doing what others asked of me and standing in the corner. Now I train new employees and help others break out of their shell because I know exactly what it's like and where they're coming from.

I also learned that I can handle my anxiety better than I thought. On days I feel extremely overwhelmed, most, if not all, of my coworkers can help me out even if it's just getting the next customer that walks through the door.

You taught me that some of the best people are the people that come in regularly. Whether it's once a day or once a week, it's nice to serve a familiar face. They also are the people that actually try to get to know you. It's nice to go out in public and see the people you make food for regularly and be able to hold a conversation.

I also discovered that you can clean the same crumby surface ten times in a row and still find crumbs. When you work somewhere that sells anything related to bread, I'm sure that you will find crumbs no matter how hard you clean.

On the topic of cleaning, everything gets cleaned multiple times a day. The bathrooms get cleaned two to three times a day, garbage cans get changed twice a day, the soda nozzles get switched out and cleaned, tables and microwaves and everything else gets wiped down. If there is anything dirty, it must have been overlooked by busy employees and they are ready to hear someone tell them something was dirty.

As employees, we have found ways to make everything fun. Even stocking the chip rack, usually not a fun task, can be made into a fun experience by seeing how many chip boxes can be broken down and stacking all seven of them into a nine foot tall "leaning tower of chip boxes" and consolidationg all the leftover chip boxes down to only three boxes. Boredom sparks creativity.

All in all, my first job was a great experience so far. Yes, there are days where I wish I could just quit and move on with my life. But, if I left this job, I would leave behind all the fun memories and friendships I've made. It'll be a sad day when I have to quit but it will be a well appreciated memory and a great learning experience.

Sincerely,

A Sandwich Artist.