Dear Self: This Is For The Hard Days

Dear Self: This Is For The Hard Days

Read this when you want to quit.

137
Dear Self: This Is For The Hard Days
Jose Luis Pelaez Inc / Getty Images

Dear Self,

So today was one of those days. You woke up both tired and late, got caught behind one of the slowest drivers you’ve ever seen on the way to work, felt drained all day despite the energy required of you, arrived home to unfulfilled hopes of relaxation because even your family is crazy, and crawled into bed with the painful knowledge that tomorrow you have to do all of this again. I know you want to quit. Instead of working hard and sacrificing yourself every day, you want to drive away to live with your friends and have some peace. Why can’t you just have an easy life?

First, I want to tell you that I’m sorry. I’m sorry you want to quit. We never know how long we will have in this life, so I want your days to be filled with joy and excitement and love. Every minute should be spent doing something you will not regret and I am sorry that in your exhaustion you want to quit and change everything so you truly can live without regrets.

I promise you will survive though. With the God of the universe inside of you, nothing can stop you. If you take one step at a time, and go one day at a time, you will get through this busy season. Also, always remember that time is continuous. This too shall pass.

Next, you need to know that life is not meant to be easy. Pouring yourself out for God and for others is the only true way to live and reflect Christ and although it is difficult, count that continuous giving as your joy. Painful, exhausting, deep joy.

Remember that today is a gift. You will never get it back, so how can you truly justify napping through family time or slacking at work? If you do not get tomorrow, what will today say to everyone you know and love? You must live for your legacy, even when you are tired, even when you want to quit, even on days like today, even on days that are awesome. Having the opportunity to leave a legacy is part of the gift. In the musical Hamilton, Alexander claims he will not throw away his shot, and you must vow to do the same every day, no matter what.

Lastly, please know that the good days are coming. One day, you will not have to roll out of bed until noon and you can stay in your pajamas all day. You will have the time to call all your friends that you miss, and you will have plenty of time to read and be alone. Do not forget to worship God when things are easy, even though you feel like you don’t need Him. You always will. And one day, you will never have hard days again because you will be in Heaven, where rejoicing in His presence will never end.

I love you and I am so proud of you. Being obedient to God is not always easy and fun, yet you bow to Him and His will every day anyways. When you do not feel beautiful, remember that you are designed by an incredible Creator who knows you are stunning. When you do not feel strong, remember to rely on Christ’s strength.

Go forth and conquer.

Love,

Yourself