How Being A Dancer Prepared Me For College

It prepares you in ways you may not think about.

42
4Dancers

Like many others, I grew up dancing competitively. I spent almost every night at the studio. There were many days where I never went home after school and wouldn't be home until 8 or 9:00. However, the life of a dancer prepared me for college in unlikely ways. Here's how:

1. Time Management

When you spent your night's a studio, you learned how to balance school work, family, friends, boyfriends and dance. You were able to schedule yourself to finish projects and papers for school. Now in college, you are able to manage your time wisely. You didn't go through that difficult time of finding time management skills that many college freshman go through.

2. Discipline

Dance gave you discipline. In college, you are able to discipline yourself to get things done and behave appropriately.

3. The importance of friendship.

Let's face it, your dance friends were your best friends growing up. You spent so much time with them that you were able to learn what makes a good friend quickly. Your friends are what got you through all those years. In college, you know this going in. You know that what kind of friends you need and how to be a great support system to them. Don't worry, your dance friends still remain a huge support system.

5. Respect for yourself.

Growing up a dancer made you very aware of your body. You know it's capabilities and you know its limits. You know how to respect your body. You know the value of being yourself. This translates in college. You maintain that respect. You are true to yourself.

6. Taking Criticism

The dance world is full of criticism. When you go to college, you do not struggle with taking criticism. You are able to accept it and respect it. You know good criticism from bad criticism, therefore you can decipher what you need to do to be better.

7. Passion

If you spent your life dancing, you most likely had the passion for it. You know the result of being passionate about something. So in college, you are able to find other passions and put effort into them. Whether it's your major, your club or your job, you know that passion will make all the difference.

8. How to function with lack of sleep.

If we are being honest, there weren't many opportunities for a good sleep as a dancer. When you were at the studio all night, then you probably were up late doing homework. Then you had to take a shower. Then you had to wake up at 6:00 AM for school. You were lacking sleep. Lack of sleep is what college is all about, so thank dance for making it easier when you get there.

9. Teamwork

You learned the importance of working together with other dancers to create something beautiful. This understanding of teamwork and achieving an end result is more important than you think in college.

There are days that dance may seem too much, but you will thank it for all it put you through when you get to college. It was beneficial...trust me.