Currently Trending: 5 Stories From The Week Of April 12 To Read Today
Currently

A weekly roundup of Odyssey's Currently section.

75

Here are the top five pieces you missed from our creators last week:

1. Dr. Oz, If 2 – 3 Percent In Total Mortality To Open Schools Is 'Appetizing,' Go Back To School

By Tyler Lyman

"Dr. Oz is arguing that it might be acceptable to put people's lives at risk and to let the total mortality rate increase, just so children can get back into a physical classroom."

2. 7 Women Joe Biden Should Shortlist For VP Now That He's The Presumptive Nominee

By Jen Lambert

"Joe Biden knows a thing or two about what makes a great vice president. The former VP himself is now the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee and the political world is buzzing about who he'll choose to round out the ticket."

3. Being Unemployed In An Epidemic Is Bad Enough, But Florida Has Made It Even Worse

By Kyra Parrow

"Florida's unemployment benefits are some of the lowest in America. Weekly paid benefits cap at $275, which hasn't been adjusted in more than 20 years despite the cost of living continually rising."

4. People Of Color Are Dying From Coronavirus But The Trump Administration Doesn't Seem To Care

By alleyahally

"People are dying, but they are poor people of color. And I believe for this reason, and for this reason alone, is why there is a shortage of federal help. Elmhurst hospital is on the verge of collapse. People are being buried in mass graves in New York. Oregon had to send ventilators because the federal government claims that New York has "everything they need.""

5. It Took A Pandemic To Stop America's Mass School Shootings, And That Is Heartbreaking

By Tyler Lyman

"But the reality is, it has taken a pandemic to stop these school shootings. No amount of legislation, protesting, and awareness has done as much as COVID-19 has done in giving us a month where no school shootings have happened."