7 Women Who Joe Biden Should Consider For His Vice President Pick
Currently

7 Women Joe Biden Should Shortlist For VP Now That He's The Presumptive Nominee

One of these women could be the first female VP in U.S. history.

693

Joe Biden knows a thing or two about what makes a great vice president. The former VP himself is now the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee and the political world is buzzing about who he'll choose to round out the ticket. Biden made waves when he committed to choosing a female VP during the last Democratic debate.

Here are 7 women who can help Joe make his long-awaited return to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

1. Stacey Abrams

Abrams is a seemingly perfect fit for Biden's ticket. Abrams is a graduate of Yale Law, college professor, best-selling author, former minority leader in the Georgia Statehouse, founder of a financial services firm, former city attorney, former Democratic nominee in Georgia's gubernatorial election, and the public face of America's modern voting rights movement. She seems to perfectly fill in the gaps in Biden's coalition as her campaign in Georgia outpaced even Barack Obama's turnout among young voters and has high approval ratings among Latinos (another demographic Biden has struggled with) and African Americans. Biden's campaign even publicly floated the idea of announcing a Biden-Abrams ticket before primary voting began in early states like Iowa and New Hampshire.

Abrams is a young, charming politician who has largely contributed to Georgia's emergence as a potential swing state. Her ability to drive nonwhite and youth turnout in the traditionally red deep South has not gone unnoticed by Biden's campaign.

2. Tammy Duckworth

Tammy Duckworth is the current junior U.S. senator from Illinois. She has a distinguished record of service as an Iraq War veteran and Purple Heart recipient. Upon her election to the Senate, she became the first female veteran with a disability and the second Asian American woman to serve as a U.S. Senator. Duckworth also made history as the first senator to give birth while in office.

3. Gretchen Whitmer

Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan has drawn national attention for her handling of the coronavirus outbreak in her state. She has shown that she leads with heart, and has become very popular in her state which has become a battleground in the 2020 election. Michigan will be a very important state in Biden's strategy to get to 270 electoral votes, and Whitmer's popularity may prove to be crucial in November.

4. Tammy Baldwin

Tammy Baldwin is the current junior senator from Wisconsin, another key Rust Belt state in the presidential election. Baldwin was the first out gay U.S. senator and has positioned herself as an important voice for LGBTQ interests in Washington. Adding her to the ticket could broaden Biden's support with LGBTQ voters, another demographic that he struggled with in the primary.

5. Catherine Cortez-Masto

Cortez-Masto is the current senior senator from the state of Nevada. She was the first Latina elected to serve in the U.S. Senate and her support among the Latino population in key states like Nevada and Florida could be extremely helpful for Biden in November. She was also the first woman elected to serve as a senator for Nevada. She is popular with progressives for her stances on raising the minimum wage, implementing immigration reforms, and protecting entitlement programs.

6. Val Demings

Representative Val Demings is a new name being floated as a potential VP pick for Joe Biden. The Florida representative endorsed Biden in early March and was privately mentioned by Senator Chuck Schumer as a possible VP for Biden. She rose to national prominence early this year when she was named as one of the House impeachment managers by Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Demings' past as the former chief of Orlando police has given her a strong background in advocating for law and order. Both her popularity in her home state of Florida (another battleground state) and her popularity in the African American community could be big factors in Biden's VP choice.

7. Kamala Harris

Senator Kamala Harris of California ran a presidential campaign of her own last year but fell short of securing a solid voter base leading up to the primaries. Her endorsement of Joe Biden was hugely important in helping him cement his status as the frontrunner for the nomination. It was also viewed as her publicly throwing her hat into the ring for Biden's VP pick, even after her numerous attacks on him on the debate stage. It remains to be seen whether Harris and Biden's relationship has strengthened enough for him to call on her to round out his presidential ticket.