How To Create An Online Store As A 20-Something

What are you waiting for?

57
Pic Jumbo

Hello all 20-Somethings, welcome. By now you hopefully know what you want to do with your life and if not, that’s alright too I suppose. For those of you who are aspiring business owners taking the entrepreneurial path of life, let me ask you a few questions:

Have you been looking for a way to create an online store for your product? Well, I can help.

“Start a business while you are young. You have few commitments and are used to living off Ramen Noodles.” — Dr. Sebora

There are a few steps you must take in order create an online store:

Decide what you’re going to sell

First of all, you have to ask yourself, “What do I want to sell?” It could be anything from jewelry, clothing, artwork and more! Once you decide what you want to sell, everything else is simple.

Pick a theme

What theme are you trying to go for with the product you're selling. Is it edgy, hipster, athletic or sassy? Choosing a theme will make it easy to create your logo and customize your online store when the time comes. It gives you a sense of who you’re targeting and will help you brand your online store in a strategic and creative way.

Create a logo

Every company out there has a logo. It’s how they set themselves apart from their competition and create a brand that resonates with their consumers. Look at Nike, Adidas, American Eagle, Hollister etc. Each of these companies has a logo that is easily distinguished. Try using websites such as, Canva or GraphicSprings that allow you the create your own logo for free!

Choose a domain name

Have you thought about what you want to call your online store? Make it creative and catchy. People want to buy stuff that looks and sounds trendy. Choosing your domain name is an important part of the process as it will be your online identity and lead customers to your website. Make it memorable.

Pick an eCommerce platform

You probably haven’t thought of this step yet. Choosing an eCommerce platform can honestly make or break your online store. Sure there are ones that are extremely cheap, but they don’t necessarily have the best features. I have found that Shopify is one of the most popular eCommerce platforms out there. It includes features such as customization, consumer insights and the option for a blog that is connected to your online store. Don’t believe me? Normally I would say suit yourself but so many successful online stores have been created using Shopify.

“Follow your passion, not your paycheck.. The money will come eventually.” – Unknown

By following each of these steps you will be able to create an online store that will leave you successful in no time!

My motto is if you’re good at creating something and other people take interest then you might as well make money off of it. Sure there are other ways to make money online, but you will be doing something you love, which makes it enjoyable.

Look at any 20-Something business owner who is now a multi-millionaire. That could be you if you’re willing to put yourself and your product out there.

As a 20-Something who is an aspiring entrepreneur and business owner, I have one question for you. What are you waiting for?