Consumerism Is A Lie

Consumerism Is A Lie

More Things Do Not Bring More Joy

64
Consumerism Is A Lie

We have all heard the saying "less is more, and more is less", but why? Less is more, but more of what? And having less of what? Because if that quote is referring to material possessions, then our society is definitely not following that trend.

Less is more, and more is less. What does that even mean? It is no secret that we live in a time of fast-paced creation and innovation. Every day someone is coming out with something bigger, better, faster, or smarter than what we had the day before. Take a moment and imagine how tomorrow is going to look like for you, think through your schedule and plan your day. Now think about your day again, but going without social media, or better yet a smartphone. How would your day change? More time, perhaps? Or would it be too difficult? Is your smartphone more than just a social asset to you, do you work on it? The ties we have made to one piece of technology are astounding, many people could not live the life they are used to without it, that is no question. I do not work on my phone, yet hours and hours are spent indulging in pointless screening of other people's lives on social media. But this is normal, no?

Just like society tells us it is normal to be on our phones all day, it tells us that we need other things in order to function effectively as well. The best smart TV, the newest iPhone, the most effective smart watch, the safest car, the fastest computer, and the most high-tech camera. But do we need all of these things? Probably not. The truth is, all of those things are great, and really cool to have. I have an iPhone, a laptop, and a nice camera. The key isn't to avoid consumerism completely, that would be impossible, the key is to not over consume. Keeping up with the newest technology each year is a ridiculous standard to reach, you do not need the best, because even last year's model, does way more than we need.

The same thing could be said about way more industries than just technology. The clothing, transportation, and housing industries all follow similar trends. Produce as fast as you can, sell to consumers as fast as you can, and repeat. They have one goal, to make you feel like you need more things in order to find joy. The sooner we realize the falsity in their advertisements, the sooner we can be happier with less. We do not need more, and most of the time we do not need better. We over-consume, and want more than we can handle. Having new things will only find you temporary happiness, but will always leave you feeling overwhelmed in the long haul. Material possessions won't bring you joy, so when you do decide to make your next purchase ask yourself, "Do I need this, do I want this, and will this bring me joy?".

I hope that as a new year begins, we try to create a new mindset. Let's try not to over consume things we do not need. The reward will go a long way.