Opinion: Anti-Mask Conservatives Can't Call Themselves Pro-Life
Currently

Dear Conservatives, If You're Anti-Mask, You Lose The Right To Call Yourself Pro-Life

You won't wear a mask because it "infringes on your rights," but believe you can control what a woman does with her body?

3262

A recent poll conducted by AP News found that 75 percent of American adults believe there should be a mask mandate, with 89 percent of Democrats but just 58 percent of Republicans agreeing. A Republican argument I've heard is that if President Donald Trump doesn't wear one, they shouldn't have to wear one either. They have been branded "anti-maskers," hundreds of them congregating at protests because they believe the mask mandate goes against their rights. This is occurring in predominantly red states, which are currently being hit the hardest more than half a year into the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Texas Republican Representative Louie Gohmert vehemently opposes a mask mandate and justified his decision on the House floor with, "I don't have the coronavirus, turns out as of yesterday I've never had it. But if I get it, you'll never see me without a mask." (Gohmert has since tested positive for COVID-19.)

The conservative argument that you are allowed to decide if you want to wear a mask or not, because of "constitutional rights," is inherently hypocritical. This is because 71 percent of conservatives identify as pro-life — they believe women should not be allowed to have autonomy over their bodies. This is despite the fact that it is not their body nor their uterus, and therefore their opinions are irrelevant and unwarranted.

These same conservatives are victimizing themselves during this pandemic, claiming that their rights are being infringed upon because they are being required to wear a piece of fabric over their faces. How can you have such strong opinions on abortion and what other women choose to do with their bodies, and simultaneously whine about being mandated to wear a mask?

Doesn't feel so great, having someone else pass decisions about what you should do with your body now, does it?

Not to forget the fact that masks protect you and other Americans, and therefore your patriotism should encourage you to abide for public health reasons.

This pandemic has shown us that conservatives aren't pro-life because they care about unborn fetuses. They are pro-life because they believe they should be able to control what everyone does with their bodies, but they are the same individuals that feel threatened when another entity attempts to do the same. It is domination, ignorance, and hypocrisy at its finest.

The government isn't requiring you to wear a mask because they want to take your rights away from you, they're doing so because it'll save your life and other American lives as well. If not for others, wear a mask to "promote the general welfare of the United States of America," just like your beloved Constitution states.