Confessions Of A Busy College Student

Confessions Of A Busy College Student

Being busy is 100 percent a choice.

18
Confessions Of A Busy College Student

Being busy is definitely a choice. I know sometimes we feel that we are busy just because college is a busy time of life, but let me tell you, I know plenty of people who get through college with quite a bit more free time than I have.

Now, let me set a disclaimer real quick: I'm not complaining about how busy I am. It's actually quite the opposite.

I enjoy being busy and that's exactly why I've chosen to be committed to as many things as I have. If you're reading this article and you're saying to yourself that you don't truly enjoy being busy, it might be time to say no to a few things next semester, and I'll be the first to tell you that's entirely okay. There are plenty of perks to being busy, as well as having so much freedom that you don't know what to do with all of it, and anywhere in between.

Here's a glimpse into what my semester looks like: I nanny four days a week after school for two adorable kids, I'm a barista at least one shift a week (sometimes more if I'm feeling like I can handle bailing out a few coworkers), I give tours on campus, I'm now the Co-President of the event planning committee on campus, I'm a college leader for Young Life (a weekly high school group), I take roughly 15 credits per semester and on top of that, I'm trying to keep up with my friends and family.

You could say that free time almost doesn't exist in my schedule, but I like it that way. See, the things I'm committed to are what I would be doing with my free time anyway—spending time at coffee shops, telling people about how much I love my school, going to campus events and so on. I take full responsibility for all of the rings I've committed to, but here are a few things that run through my mind, and maybe yours too.

There's not enough time to make everything perfect.

When you're as busy as I am, everything isn't going to be done to your absolute best ability, and that's okay. I've had to learn to step away from being a perfectionist and that's been so freeing. I love all the things I do and just because I'm not the best at all of them, doesn't mean I'm going to give them up.

My friends and family are still my number one priority.

I hope all of my friends and family know that even though I'm busy, I'd still drop anything if one of them needed me. I do wish I had more time to spend with them all, but being busy forces me to make time for them, which I hope shows that they're important to me.

I have a hard time saying no.

There's so many great things to do and I want to do them all. I have said no quite a bit, but I could probably stand to say no more often. If I don't have time for something, it doesn't help to commit and then not be able to follow through.

If I stick with something, I truly enjoy it.

I often think to myself if there's anything I'm committed to that I don't enjoy anymore or isn't worth my time, and that's how I figure out what I'll keep doing. This doesn't mean breaking commitments, but if I continue to further my commitment, know I still love whatever it is I'm doing.

I do need a break every once in a while.

Being an extrovert, I love being around people, but I've learned to value the times I have set aside to be alone. I also can't wait for breaks like Thanksgiving and Christmas, because they're times to entirely clear my head and rest from all the craziness.

Being busy is just a part of who I am, and I don't think that will change anytime soon. I will say, I think this season of being in college is the busiest I've been yet, but being busy keeps me motivated and feeling accomplished, making it all worth it. Being busy, though, is not for everyone and if you chose a different route, that's entirely okay. Just remember, make the most of college because it only comes around once.