Confession, I Haven't Been Playing 'Pokemon Go'

Pokemon has made a huge comeback.

42
http://assets.rollingstone.com/

I grew up playing "Pokemon" the analog way, with actual playing cards. On July 6, 2016, the world changed forever with the release of "Pokemon Go." Unless you have been living under a rock, you have heard more about this game than you maybe would have liked. While it is clear that the game is getting people outside and having fun, I have to admit that I will not be downloading the app.

One of the main reasons I will not be downloading "Pokemon Go" is simply because I do not have the phone storage to do so. My phone barely has enough storage for me to take photos and videos of things I deeply care about. So using any of that precious space for an app that I don't absolutely need is just not going to happen.

Lack of phone storage aside, people seem to be so hypnotized by the game that is becoming dangerous. I've heard numerous stories of people getting injured while playing the game. Prior to the game, people were concerned with teens walking into the street without paying attention because they were distracted by texting. Now the problem is people are so captivated by the game, they often don't pay attention to where they are walking, two men even walked off a cliff. People are more concerned with catching a Pokemon than they are with their own safety. Forget about walking around and not paying attention, people are actually playing while they drive. Not only does this endanger the people playing, it puts everyone else at risk.

Below is a video from campus security at Florida International University (FIU), warning students to be careful while playing.

On the topic of safety, one of the most crucial criteria for criminals when picking a victim is someone who is vulnerable. Looking at phone and not paying attention to your surroundings makes you so much more susceptible to being a victim of crime. Having your phone out in front looking for potential captures, makes it easy to run up and grab it.

I loved playing "Pokemon" as a kid and seeing a lot of people get excited about something is a nice change of pace. Though it's not for me, if you are playing, have a good time and be safe.