5​ Common Bible Verses That Have Lost Some Of Their Meaning

Sometimes when verses are used a lot and they can seem to become commonplace and lose some of their meaning.

252
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

This article's intent is not to point out verses that are out of context, but rather bring back the full meaning and depth back to popular verses.

1. Genesis 1:1

Photo by Ravi Pinisetti on Unsplash

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. - Genesis 1:1

Being the 1st verse in the Bible, I'm sure you've heard it over and over. You've become accustomed to it, maybe even have it memorized by heart. But how often do you take a step back to appreciate just how wondrous this sentence is? God made everything, and not only did He just throw something together, but he calls His creation "good". He is so powerful that He formed everything by speaking it and it was so. Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of how beautiful creation is and just how powerful God is to have made it.

2. Psalm 23:4

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/shepherd-sheep-172833965?src=yIKwusiZ-U_9Ar5USkuEQA-1-0

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. - Psalm 23:4

This verse portrays a beautiful truth - we will go through hard and dark times, but we can have the assurance that God is always with us. There is not a moment that we go through that God is not with us. Even when He feels so distant, He is right there beside you waiting for you to reach your hand out to Him. Another great verse that illustrates this message is Deuteronomy 31:6 (given below)

6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

We have no reason to fear because God is bigger than anything that frightens or holds us down; He's watching over us, and we have no rhyme or reason to fear whatever comes our way. If you've seen "VeggieTales" you might remember the song - God is bigger than the boogie man. This may just be a song for young kids to calm them down, but it has a great message behind it:

God is bigger than the boogie man.
He's bigger than Godzilla, or the monsters on TV.
Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man.
And He's watching out for you and me.

3. Matthew 6:34

Photo by Vincent van Zalinge on Unsplash

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? - Matthew 6:25 - 26

At a quick glance, one might agree that yes, they are more valuable than a bird because we are made in God's image and set apart as "very good" whereas a bird was just part of God's "good" creation. But upon digging deeper, we can see God cares for even the birds and he provides food for them, so if we are much more valuable, God must care a lot more for us. This verse is good to look back at when your life might not be going the best, things are not going your way and your life feels like a mess. But keep heart, God is watching over you, he will provide for you even when all hope seems lost.

In the same way, don't toil over what you eat or wear, life is much more than just those trivial matters. Praise Him for what you have been blessed with, rather than complain about what you have been given and covet things you do not have.

4. Matthew 28:16-20​

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." - Matthew 28:18-20

It's not as much as this verse has lost its meaning, but that it requires action that is not always carried out. In Christianity today, we tend to separate the terms 'Christian' and 'disciple'. But, if you have given your life to Christ, then you should want to follow after Him and what He calls us to do. This verse shows that Jesus calls us to share the Good News, but as a Christian, we shouldn't have to be told this. If we have truly have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we should want to hare the Good News.

The Good News is the best news we ever had or ever will hear. If we do well on a test or get that position we were hoping for, we want to tell everyone we know about it so they can share in our happiness. So how is this any different from the Gospel?

5. John 3:16

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

This is most likely the most well known Bible verse, and even non-Christians have probably heard of this verse before. If you grew up in the church, you might know this verse off by heart and maybe when you were younger you could say it the fastest in your youth group. But it's not about who knows it the best or who can say it the fastest, it's about if you understand the meaning behind the verse.

God, who is the creator of heaven, earth and everything that exists, loves you. Dying for someone is the most affectionate act someone can do as they sacrifice their own life for them. Well, that's what Jesus did, He loved us so much that He came to earth to live life as a human, just so he could die in our place and be the perfect and ultimate sacrifice.