The Pros And Cons Of Going To College In Your Hometown

While most of your new college friends are talking about their hometowns, you can only say so much because you never left.

55
Aerial view of JSU Building
Personal Photo

Being a local in a college town makes college an entirely different experience. Sometimes that can dwindle the feeling of accomplishment of actually attending a university, but it also allows you to maintain that 'home' sense while starting a new chapter.

1. Pro: Familiar faces…

If you are going to the college that is in your hometown it is highly likely that many people from your school or surrounding schools will do the same. This can make things a little easier, that walk to class will not be as lonely, and you won't be the weirdo sitting alone in class not talking to anyone.

2. Pro: Knowing where to go...

New comers often spend the first few weeks trying to find the best burger joint, or late night milkshake outlet. Being a local means that you already know the hotspots of town, you many even utilize this precious information the make some new friends (or not).

3. Pro: Living at home...

Not leaving town means that you can most likely live at home to avoid those overpriced closets called dorm rooms. Living at home means you also save on other expenses throughout the year as well, such as gas. Not to mention you get to see your dog like everyday.

1. Con: Living at home...

Parents are more likely to have their child live at home if it is an option to save some cash. Though living at home can take away from the independent college feat. Sometimes its easy to want a place of your own, to decorate how you like it, to have control of who comes and goes (at whatever time), and a place to show off when the family comes to visit.

2. Con: Comfort zone stays comfortable...

Not being forced to move to a different place can create not make you step outside of your comfort zone. When it is time to graduate or when you move out it could possibly be a little more difficult, never to test out your "new town" know-how.

3. Con: That fresh start atmosphere...

College is often known as that 'fresh start' after high school. Attending a college in the same town you went to high school in is not nearly the same as someone who is starting out in a new place, where few to none know their name, and can flourish.