things to do before college

13 Things To Do The Summer Before College

Sunshine, beaches, and road trips! The ultimate guide to having a fun-packed and exciting few weeks before college starts.

35

As the days pass and September eerily approaches, I'm afraid that I have some bad news: school is almost here. Dun, dun, dun! But no fear, you still have a few weeks left to complete a few things before school starts.

1. Go on a road trip with your best friends

After senior year, you are fully aware of who your ride-or-die's of high school are. What better way to celebrate the end of an era than to take them all on an epic road trip to Hershey, Disney, or anywhere of your choosing?

2. Spend time with your family

Whether you made the choice to stay in-state or out-of-state for college, you will be leaving your family for a long period of time in order to pursue your education. While this is part of life, make sure that you enjoy some quality time with your family! No matter who you are or what you do, these are the people that will love you unconditionally.

3. Make amends with an old foe

We've all had fights and arguments in high schools, or friendships that shattered and ended dismally. You're going to college soon and starting a new chapter in your life; don't let any negativity of your past haunt your future! Make amends and forgive that person who hurt you so that you can move forwards.

4. Learn something new

With so much time on your hands, you may as well put it to good use and learn something new! Hobbies are time-filling and require lots of practice, especially for learning instruments like piano or guitar, but are extremely rewarding.

5. Learn to cook

I'm not just saying that you should learn to cook to sound like your mom or because I'm going to Fordham University, which was rated by Princeton Review as "worst campus food." You will be living in a dorm and it would be nice to have something other than ramen every once and awhile!

6. Reach out to some new people at your college

College can be very intimidating since you're completely surrounded by new people, surroundings, and experiences. So make it a little easier on yourself by meeting some people who will be experiencing college with you! Even a small bout of effort like joining a Facebook group can make you a little more comfortable.

7. Make sure you have all of your college materials, work, etc. done

Well, now I'm really going to sound like your mom. They don't call me the mom-friend for nothing! I'm sure that everyone (and their wallets) are aware of this, but college is expensive. Very, very expensive. Therefore, it is imperative that you get the most out of it for the main reason that you are (or should be) there: your education. Please, just check your college email.

8. Go hiking

Just to clarify, I live in New Jersey about twenty minutes away (without traffic and if you don't take the GW bridge) from New York. Translation: I am not a nature person. However, I went to Maine this summer and it really opened my eyes to how serene and beautiful the world that we're living in is. You don't have to trek all the way to Maine, but go hiking at a local area and open your eyes!

9. Get involved in your community

Your home-town is full of so many friends and memories, so why not give back to the community that gave so much happiness to you? If you volunteer with a couple friends, you'll not only get the chance to spend some more time with them, but you get to help other people and their lives in the process!

10. Get a summer job or internship

Refer to point 7: college is expensive. Whether you use the money from your minimum wage job for spending or paying tuition, it's always a good idea to get some experience in the workforce.

11. Take time for yourself

Most of all, make sure that you don't stress yourself out too much this summer. You're about to embark on a fun, fantastic, and life-changing journey in college and you should take some time to mentally reflect and solidify your character before heading off into the world.