A College Student's Guide to Moving In

A College Student's Guide to Moving In

Make moving in a breeze.

20
A College Student's Guide to Moving In
U.S. News

Well, it is almost that time again. Most colleges and universities will be starting their Fall semester within this next month, and now, all of the resident college students have to begin packing their stuff to take back to their dorms.

This can be a major hassle for college students. For returning students, many of us dread moving in, knowing what to expect; whereas, incoming freshmen are coming in blind. Many students are so worried about not having enough stuff that they overpack. This may not sound like a bad thing in the long run, but it does not take much for a college dorm to become cluttered. Additionally, when you overpack in the beginning of the year, it makes things significantly more exhausting when you have to leave, especially at the end of finals week.

I have done this for three years, and overtime, I learned what was most important to bring with me and what I could leave behind. I want to help other people who are dealing with this same situation. I have compiled a list of the most important things to bring for your college living space. Now, there are a large variety of dorm styles, but in the last few years, suite-style dorms have become the norm on most college campuses, so I am writing this list to meet the needs of those who have their own bathrooms, rather than communal washrooms. However, a majority of this list still applies to traditional dorming residents. Also, consider talking to your roommates/suitemates. They may have some appliances (microwave, game system, etc.) that you can share.

Bed:

• Sheets and comforter set (remember most schools have twin XL beds)
  • Pillows
  • Blankets
  • Mattress Pad (not necessary, but can provide extra comfort)

Bathroom:

• Toothbrush/Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash
  • Floss
  • Hairbrush/Comb
  • Deodorant
  • Shampoo/Conditioner
  • Body Wash
  • Feminine Products
  • Hair Straightener/Curling Iron
  • Make-Up
  • Face Cleanser
  • Glasses/Contacts/Contact Solution
  • Razor/Shaving Cream
  • Lotion
  • Hand Soap/Hand Sanitizer
  • Robe
  • Towels
  • Washcloths
  • Toilet Paper
  • Medicine

Laundry

• Clothes (at least two weeks worth)
  • Hamper
  • Laundry Detergent
  • Fabric Softener (optional)
  • Dryer Sheets
  • Lint Roller (optional)
  • Hangers
  • Winter Clothes and Accessories (heavy jacket, hats, boots, etc.)
  • Quarters (for the washer/dryer)

Electronics/Appliances

• Cell Phone/Charger
  • Laptop
  • Headphones
  • USB Drive
  • Television (optional)
  • Game System (optional)
  • Mini Fridge
  • Microwave
  • Printer (optional)
  • Extension Cords

School Stuff

• Textbooks
  • Notebooks
  • Binders
  • Backpack/Bag
  • Pencils/Pens
  • Index Cards
  • Highlighters
  • Calculator
  • Planner/Calendar
  • Post-It Notes
  • Stapler
  • 3 Hole Punch
  • Trash Can

Kitchen/Eating

• Microwaveable Bowls and Plates (optional)
  • Can Opener (optional)
  • Plasticware (do not have to wash)
  • Coffee Machine (optional)
  • Cups/Mugs (optional)
  • Filtered Pitcher (optional)
  • Water Bottles/Bottled Drinks
  • Protein Bars/Granola Bars
  • Popcorn
  • Ramen

Cleaning Supplies (not required, but can be extremely helpful)

• Broom and Dust Pan
  • Small Vacuum Cleaner
  • Windex
  • Paper Towels
  • Lysol/Clorox Wipes
  • Dish Detergent
  • Sponge
  • Toilet Brush/Toilet Cleaner