Lori Loughlin's College Scandal

Ahead Of Possible Jail Time, Lori Loughlin Feels Manipulated And Deceived In College Admissions Scandal

They thought their $500,000 bribe could be considered as donation to USC.

42

It's been a few weeks since the college admissions scandal news broke out. The parents accused of cheating their children's' way into college have split, with some pleading guilty and accepting wrongdoing and others who continue to fight charges thrown against them.

Among those expressing remorse and accepting consequences is Desperate Housewives actress Felicity Huffman. Although she was accused of bribing SAT proctors and officials with $15,000 to boost her daughter's SAT score, Huffman claims her daughter had no knowledge of the incident and is ashamed of her actions. In a statement, Huffman said, "I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept the consequences … my daughter knew absolutely nothing… and in my misguided and profoundly wrong way, I have betrayed her."

And already, the story has diverged for some families involved. For parents like Huffman, addressing the court, admitting misconduct, and accepting punishment have proven beneficial in terms of determining sentencing guidelines, with prosecutors now advising a prison term at the low end of the four to ten month prison time recommendation.

However, there are always those exceptions, those who feel as if they can cheat the system and get away with any and all wrongdoing. At the other end of the scandal is the other Hollywood actress involved Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, who also attempted to cheat their way into college but did so by bribing officials with $500,000 to have their two daughters accepted to USC as a part of their crew team, despite both daughters having never played the sport prior.

OK, before continuing on with how Loughlin dealt with the case, I just want to take a moment to compare exactly what they did in order to get what they wanted. Obviously paying $500,000 in bribes is more damaging than $15,000, but Huffman knowingly had her daughter's test scores changed, meanwhile Loughlin had her daughter sitting on a rowing machine and pose as a fake recruit. This is just me, but if we are talking about cheating, I'd consider changing test scores more offensive.

At the same time, however, I'd be livid too if I was a prosecutor and saw Loughlin smiling, signing autographs, and parading around the courthouse like an honorable guest, rather than a defendant accused of cheating the educational system.

Even more, and this is where Loughlin loses me completely, I CANNOT and WILL NOT believe that her children had no knowledge of the corruption that was occurring because they took a fake photo! I'm sorry, but any child would be confused out of their minds if their mom randomly had them start posing on a rowing machine as a fake athletic recruit.

With that said, any child who was knowing admitted via bribery and cheating should be expelled without question. You didn't have the merits to get in on your own, so buh-bye.

Students like Huffman's daughter, who may have been unaware of the scandal, should also be removed from the university. Otherwise, we are sending a message that it is acceptable to lie and cheat your way to the top as long as you didn't know you were cheating.

Now, because I seriously don't know how this is possible, but can we all take a moment to come to terms with the idea that Loughlin and her husband don't see their actions as cheating! Well wait, let me rephrase. Specifically, "[Lori and her husband] claim they were under the impression they might be breaking rules, but not laws. They feel they were manipulated by those involved and are planning that as part of their defense." They thought their bribe of $500,000 could be considered a donation to the school...I'M SORRY WHAT?! I could respond to this claim but need I say more. Loughlin and Giannulli didn't see any wrongdoing in their actions and saw their behavior as a favor to their daughters and USC.

Well now, Loughlin is in for a rude awakening. Apparently, she didn't know how serious her actions were and it was for that reason that she did not take any plea deals. However, now prosecutors have hit her with another charge, that being money laundering. Still, her husband has continued to advise her not to take any deals, because he believes they are NOT GUILTY!!! In their opinion, they were only trying to be supportive parents.

Once again, this is only my opinion, but isn't buying your child's way into college the opposite of supporting them? If they're not smart enough to be admitted on their own merit, don't you think they'll fail even worse once they're at these prestigious, competitive schools?

I suppose not. Apparently, being a helicopter mom or parenting on steroids is still a thing.