College Is Scary

College Is Scary

The rant of a nervous first time college student.

13
College Is Scary

I come from a strict family with lots of rules: no staying out late, no hanging with friends if my parents don't know their parents, and most importantly- NO PRIVACY! I haven't had a lot of experience with 'adulting' as you could say. Sure I've snuck out and participated in things that would give my mother a heart attack, and yeah I pay a few bills here and there but when we are talking real-life-adult things, I've never really been a part of them. I've barely had a taste of the type of control over my own life that this new part of my life will consist of and don't have even the slightest clue of what this year will be like. All I have been told is that college is nothing like high school (what I am used too) and an all in all brand new experience.

This is my first semester in college and I have to balance all of these new responsibilities with the new freedom that I am suddenly being thrusted into. My whole life is now solely in my hands and-to be completely honest- I'm nervous as hell. I will be living with a stranger in comically small dorm rooms and trying to find my way around a massive campus, on top of working as much as possible to try and pay for these 'new experiences'. My world, up until this point, has been one massive bubble created by my mother's need to "protect me" and once that bubble pops I am left with this independence that I've only dreamed of. Unfortunately this dream comes with very realistic and very expensive consequences. So if you can see past the vomit inducing nervous ramblings, you will see that I am just a scared college student who has only one question: what in the fuck am I supposed to do now?