College Is More Than Just A Degree

College Is More Than Just A Degree

Your diploma isn't the only important thing you will take away from college.

51
College Is More Than Just A Degree
Havilah Miller

College is great for a lot of reasons – more than just receiving that diploma on graduation day. What I now understand about this four-year phase in life is that it is not replicable; the experience cannot be found anywhere else, and some lessons can only be learned through the stresses and excitements that go along with moving off to school with thousands of other strangers. Here are my top four reasons I think you should go to college if given the opportunity.

1. College helps develop your worldview.

No matter what your spiritual beliefs are, there will come a time in your life when those beliefs are questioned. Let me first tell you that this is normal, and this is OK. For me, I grew up in a Christian home, went to a Christian school, and attended a Christian church twice a week. This conveniently created a Christian bubble for me to live in where my beliefs were a part of my everyday life. However, once I moved out on my own, I had to start making decisions for myself and develop a worldview that was strictly mine–not my parents', not my teachers', nor my pastor's. But when our faith is tested in this way, it can then be strengthened. This is a necessary process that will allow you to mature in your faith.

2. It brings you out of your comfort zone.

Nothing screams "I AM OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE" more than being placed in a small room with a complete stranger and asked to live with them for the next 10 months. Although this process can be quite uncomfortable, it is SO good for us. When our insides are begging us to retreat back into the normalcy of our home life, that is the time when we can grow. Comfort zones feel great while we are in them, but they never challenge you. Putting yourself out there is a skill that takes developing, and the more you do it, the easier it becomes. This can turn into a great asset for you in the future.

3. New opportunities are everywhere.

Most colleges offer trips, internships, events on campus, jobs, etc. Often times you do not have to look very far to hear of something awesome going on that you can be a part of. No matter your interests, most schools offer something that you will love to get involved in. Also, new opportunities come by creating a network of contacts. A good percentage of my job openings have come from meeting new people and establishing new relationships.

4. You learn a lot about yourself.

This is perhaps one of the most important reasons to go to college. Self-awareness is so imperative to an individual seeking growth. Managers appreciate an employee who knows what their strengths and weaknesses are, and they love when you set goals for yourself to improve those qualities. As cliché as it may sound, you seem to find yourself among all the stress and responsibility you experience at school. Figuring out your tendencies, flaws, coping skills, personality traits, and more is all a part of being aware of who you are. I will forever be grateful for realizing its significance.