Advice To Incoming College Freshmen

Dear Incoming College Freshmen, You Don’t Even Know

Plan all you want because after the first week, you will kiss that all goodbye.

126

You don't know anything, I promise.

The college experience is like eating a new food: you can ask a ton of different people, watch a crap ton of YouTube videos or read way too many articles. But you won't know the exact taste and feeling that food (AKA college) will give you.

So plan all you want; I promise you, after the first week, you won't even know what that word means.

College isn't going to class and laying out in the grass mid-afternoon working on homework.

College is forgetting that 12-page report, waking up five minutes before class and questioning what the meaning of life is.

Yes, you can say you're going to finish early, but nine times out of 10, that doesn't work for everyone.

College is nothing like high school. The social groups are different, it's weird to dress up every day, and skipping class because you don't want to go one day is suicide.

I'm not trying to say you're not good enough; quite the opposite. You just don't know what you're walking into. Because you are smart, beautiful and amazing!

College does throw these your way: alcohol, drugs, parties, relationships, hook-ups and D2L, being down at least once a week.

FYI, just because alcohol or drugs are at a party does not mean you have to partake. It just means that other people are. Peer pressure does not exist at my college; I know it's different everywhere. So when you show up, and you know that's not your style, you aren't frowned upon or anything. You can grab a Dr. Pepper out of the fridge and be good.

People, the people are different. There are people from all around the world that attend my college, from the Bahamas to France. What I'm saying is expect different cultures and respect their beliefs (save yourself a lot of heartache). Don't walk up to an African American and expect to say "What up my n****r!"

So as you lay in bed watching Youtubers talk about their college hacks or build a dorm inspired board on Pinterest, prepare yourself for failure. That's the only way to beat it: to expect it.