College Advice That Will Save Your Life

College Advice That Will Save Your Life

Alumni give their best college advice: Relationships, Dorm Life, Academic, and Lifestyle

12
College Advice That Will Save Your Life

What thrives on lecture halls, Netflix and Oreos, and coffee dates? One word, college. This is how I imagine my college experience: I arrive at school and meet some very unique people. My outgoing friend forces me to be social and attend a football game. Once a week I call my family and die inside because I miss my cat. The problem is these are all preconceived notions and I have no idea what college is actually like.

You, on the other hand, might be really excited to become a part of the student body. Maybe you’ve had multiple college prep classes or simply taken notes while watching "Legally Blonde." However, you still feel as clueless as you were on the fourth grade playground. Wherever you lie on the spectrum of college readiness it’s normal to feel unprepared.

But, I’m here to tell you one thing: Be open to college advice from your parents, councelor etc. They can help you move into the dorm, prepare your class schedule, and whatever you’re unfamiliar with. Today we have the honor of hearing from two college graduates -- my parents. I’m serious when I say that this advice will save your life.

We will look at four areas: relationships because they’re complex, dorm life because it’s awkward, academic because it’s college, and lifestyle because it’s challenging.

“Don’t be afraid to get to know people who are different from you.”

“Don’t get too serious, too soon in a dating relationship.”

“It’s not your job to change people, that’s their job. All you can do is show them how to live, by being an example.”

“Don’t chase romance, pursue friendships, but pursue God most of all because he will bring you the right person in time.”

“Listen to the people who love you, really know you, and will tell you the truth.”

Dorm Life

“Wear ear plugs and eye mask if necessary.”

“Be disciplined with your sleep.”

“Set boundaries, make decisions for yourself, and don’t be afraid to be honest with your roommate.”

“Messy roommates equals messy relationship.”

“Beware of germs: clean the toilets, wash your hands, and wear clean underwear.”

Academic

“Study hard but when that fails, cheat – just kidding.”

“Go to creative places to study like coffee shops and the library.”

“Pass on the Red Bull and go on a run.”

“Grades matter, but learning is more important.”

“Strive for excellence, don’t be satisfied with mediocre.”

“Everyday find a quiet place to seek after God so he can give you strength and guidance.”

“Save what you can, spend what you must.”

“Laugh a lot and don’t take yourself too seriously.”

“Wake up every morning, thinking about how you can invest in people.”

“Don’t do drugs – no seriously don’t do drugs.”

_______

Take these words to heart and you might save yourself from heartache, bankruptcy, and an ordinary life.