Cold weather perks

Living In A Cold And Snowy State Isn't All That Bad

There are some perks to living somewhere cold where it snows!

118
Janine Fairchild

Having lived in Illinois for 20+ years, you tend to get used to the cold temps and ever-changing seasons. Yes, I do sometimes complain about the snow and cold (like anyone does), but it's not actually that bad!

Here are a few reasons why winter isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Warm drinks

Thawing your hands out by holding hot chocolate, coffee, or tea in your favorite mug is one of the most comforting experiences.

Snowflakes

One of the most beautiful things in the world to watch is falling snow.

Total instagrammable pictures

During the cold and snowy season, pretty much any picture you take is going to be #iconic.

No school!

Even though colleges barely ever cancel, the excitement that you may not have to get out of your PJs is exhilarating. And you can do fun experiments.

Snow-covered landscapes

Trees are absolutely gorgeous when they're covered with snow.

Warm fireplaces

There's nothing quite like the smell of a wood-burning fireplace.

Snow-only activities

Who ever heard of sand-boarding? For those of us who can stand the cold, snow activities are the best! From skiing to snowboarding to sledding to ice skating and even building a snowman, the fun never ends.

Not as many disgusting pests

The only things I really worry about are mice and flies. Living in a warmer climate would mean dealing with alligators in my backyard or snakes in my toilet. I'd much rather have to drive in some snow a few times a year than deal with creepy crawlies all the time.

Extra layers

I love being cozy, and the cold temps just give me an excuse to wear my blanket scarf.

Decreased crime rates

Crime and temperatures seem to be correlated - as temps drop, so does the crime rate. Probably because it's way too cold, and nobody wants to be outside!

More cuddling

The cold weather just gives us all an excuse to get closer together and warm up. Netflix and cuddles, here we come!

All four seasons

This is my favorite of them all. I don't know what I'd do if I lived in a place without seasonal changes. It's been a part of my life for over 20 years now, and I would definitely miss the snow if I didn't get to live in it at least once a year.

You may not agree with me on all of these, and that's okay! I can also see the perks of living in a warmer climate, but the colder climates get such a bad rap! This is just my part in spreading awareness that it's really not all that bad living in a place where we get to see beautiful snowy landscapes and go ice skating outside in December.

Next time it snows (since we all know it's coming again eventually), try to resist the negativity and think about all of the unique and enjoyable parts of the cold weather.