Club Spotlight: SBU Breakers

Club Spotlight: SBU Breakers

Breakdancing isn't the impossibility you thought it was

If you've got the urge to get down, boogie, and funk-it-out like the groovy grouse you are, then Stony Brook University has plenty of options for you. PUSO, KBS, DeJaVu... there are dozens of dance teams filling up a confusingly vast amount of acronymic combinations. So much so, that it can be hard to find the right groups jamming on your frequency.

There are plenty of hidden gems -- smaller groups that boast just as much passion and funk as the funkiest skunks on campus. The SBU Breakers, Stony Brook University's only breakdancing club, is one such hidden gem.

They're a close knit group of people who meet, quietly, at the Health Sciences Center on campus every week. Together they hone their craft for breaking with a passionate drive. If you know how to breakdance, this is definitely the community for you. But if you don't? Fret not! A significant portion of their members started learning right here at Stony Brook. They're here to show you that breakdancing is not only possible -- but one of the best ways to satisfy your seemingly insatiable desire to boogie like no one's watching.