Classic Musicals You Should Know

Classic Musicals You Should Know

There's more to musicals than "Grease" and "Wicked"

105
Classic Musicals You Should Know

When I ask someone what their favorite musical is, nine times out of ten it's something that's come out in the past ten years or so. Now I love "Wicked," "Hairspray," "The Wiz," and "The Phantom of the Opera" as much as the next musical theater geek, don't get me wrong. However, when a professed musical theater lover doesn't know who Shirley Jones is or has never heard of "Oklahoma!," we're going to have a problem. So, in no particular order, let's dive in!

1. Oklahoma!

If you know who Shirley Jones and Gordon McRay are, then you know you'll love it. If you don't know who they are, accept that they are incredible and watch the movie.

2. Guys and Dolls

Five words: Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando. Need I say more? One of my personal favorites, this is musical makes sure you don't take yourself too seriously and will make you laugh out loud.

3. The Music Man

Shirley Jones stars as Marian, River City, Iowa's librarian (unmarried, too! gasp!) when a traveling salesman comes to town claiming he can put together a boys' band for the town. Unfortunately, "he don't know one note from another!"

4. Bye, Bye Birdie

If you like "Grease," you'll like this movie. The original movie adapted from this musical stars Dick Van Dyke, who also starred in the stage version. A funny, wonderful musical that will have you swinging your hips in time to the 50's rock!

5. The King and I

In a word, stunning. The music is stunning. The story is beautiful. And as of right now, I think it's still on Broadway!

6. Meet Me in St.

An older musical that not even I knew about until recently. Depicting a year in the life of the Smith family as they wait for the World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri, this musical shows everyone that life itself is just as wonderful as The World's Fair!

7. Singin' in the Rain

Gene Kelly. Derek Hough in the Broadway revival? Need I say more? Ahem. Considered the best musical of all time.

8. Fiddler on the Roof

Before "The Phantom of the Opera," this was Broadway's longest running show, with over 3,000 performances during it's run. And, once again, this one is back on Broadway too!

9. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Man goes to town to find a wife. Eats random woman's food. They get married. He takes her back to his home where he and his six brothers live. Man tells woman that her job is to clean and cook for all of them. Woman whips all six of them into shape and gets all of her brother-in-laws wed before the end of the year.

10. Anchor's Aweigh

The first movie EVER where a live person (Gene Kelly!!) danced with an animated character. Need I say more??

11. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Another Dick Van Dyke movie about a flying car! Not only does this car fly, but it also helps save the day from the evil Baron Bonburst! And, for those architect nuts, Neuschwanstein Castle is featured in this movie! Great music too!