20 Classic Horror Movies To Watch This Summer

Especially during a rainy day.

228
Tookapic

During summer, there is always a chance of spending an entire day outdoors. I used to set up a projector outside and watch movies at night while winding down from a day with friends. My favorite movie genre is horror, and while I do love the new horror movies coming out, I always like revisiting the classics.

Here are 20 classic movies that you should revisit this summer for the best horror experience:

1. "The Ring" (2002)

The Ring

Gore Verbinski directs the America version of this film. This is an adaptation of the 1998 Japanese film "Ring." The plot of the movie is that you watcha specific video, then in seven days, you die. Can you survive this film?

2. "Scream" (1996)

Scream

This Wes Craven film depicts the infamous Ghostface. Sidney Prescott is being stalked by a killer. The thing is, though, this movie satirizes the horror movie genre, adding a bit of comedy to the movie.

3. "Silence of the Lambs" (1991)

Silence of the lambs

Jonathan Demme directed this masterpiece. Jodie Foster and Sir Anthony Hopkins portray Clarice Starling and Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Who is up for some liver, fava beans, and a glass of Chianti?

4. "Child's Play" (1988)

Child's Play

Tom Holland is the director for the first film of "Child's Play." Chucky has spawned over six sequels and has a cult following. Trust me, if a doll started acting freaky around my house... straight to the bonfire it goes.

5. "Hellraiser" (1987)

Hellraiser

Clive Barker directed this British film play. Pinhead is in another dimension which Larry opened with his blood. Accidentally! Now there is a whole mess to clean up.

6. "Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984)

Nightmare on Elm Street

Wes Craven strikes again! This time it is with Freddy Krueger. Be wary if you watch this film at night considering he likes hunting people down when they are asleep.

7. "Basket Case" (1982)

Basket Case

"Basket Case" was directed by Frank Henenlotter. The horror film follows a brother starts seeking vengeance for the unwanted surgery that separated him from his deformed conjoined twin brother.

8. "The Poltergeist" (1982)

The Poltergeist

"The Poltergeist" is directed by Tobe Hooper. If your kid starts to pay too much attention to the static on the television, then you might have a ghost problem.

9. "Evil Dead" (1981)

Evil Dead

Directed by Sam Raimi, "Evil Dead" shows that vacationing in an isolated cabin isn't always the best idea. And if you find something suspicious, don't mess around with it.

10. "The Shining" (1980)

The Shining

Stanley Kubrick directed "The Shining." The classic "Here's Johnny" saying is something everyone has heard of, so if you didn't know where it came from, take a peek at this classic!

11. "Friday the 13th" (1980)

Friday the 13th

The iconic hockey mask could belong to no other than Jason Voorhees. Good luck to those campers at Camp Crystal Lake in this film directed by Sean S. Cunningham.

12. "Halloween" (1978)

Halloween

John Carpenter only had a budget of $300,000 to create this masterpiece. For such an iconic film, that is a low budget well done! Then there is Michael Myers in his famous white mask...

13. "The Omen" (1976)

The Omen

Directed by Richard Donner, Damien Thorne is the Anti-Christ. Once his parents found out, it all went downhill.

14. "Carrie" (1976)

Carrie

"Carrie" was directed by Brian De Palma. After what happened at the prom, I kind of don't blame Carrie for burning everything down.

15. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Tobe Hooper directs this film which portrays Leatherface. In the middle of Texas, there is a lunatic wielding a chainsaw.

16. "The Exorcist" (1973)

The Exorcist

One of the most profitable horror movies of all time was directed by William Friedkin. This movie was pretty freaky that even the people on set said it was cursed. Very interesting.

17. "Rosemary's Baby" (1968)

Rosemary's Baby

Directed by Roman Polanski, Rosemary tries to protect her baby from a certain cult. It all started with moving into an apartment that was blacklisted for cannibalism and murder.

18. "Night of the Living Dead" (1968)

Night of the living dead

Directed by George A. Romero, this is one of the first zombie films. Travelers try to escape reanimated corpses in rural Pennsylvania. No better introductions to zombies than that.

19. "Psycho" (1960)

Psycho

Indeed we do, Norman Bates. Alfred Hitchcock's infamous shower scene is still fresh in our minds. Amazing how this film inspired so many others.

20. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Directed by Don Siegel, this black and white film shows how the extraterrestrial is going to take over the world. The alien species plants spores that spout identical replacements for humans.

There are others that did not get mentioned, but I am not leaving them out on purpose. These are only a few of the classics that are out there. What ones give you the heebie-jeebies?