Christmas In October

Christmas In October

Picnicking into Christmas.

17
Christmas In October
Gig Harbor Home Management

If you know me, then you know that Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Christmas is one of those times that has so many different meanings for each person. To me, Christmas means family, love and worshiping an amazing God.

People always get judged for setting up Christmas decorations or listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving. I think this is just wrong. For my family, Christmas began in October.

As long as I can remember, there was one event that kicked off the holiday season for my family. We gathered under a pavilion at Rocks State Park. The whole extended family would join for our annual picnic. Everyone would make their specific food: fruit salad, taco dip and pumpernickel bread dip.

The whole environment was just filled with joy. Most time was spent catching up, but in the background, you could hear the faint sounds of the football game. The constant laughter and smiles brought so much happiness to my heart. I remember the group of people that weren't actually related to us but were considered our family. I loved those people because it shows how inviting and loving my family is.

All the young children would run around and make up games of their own. There was always a football in the air and someone falling down. We would always beg and beg the adults to take us to the playground at the bottom of the hill. As the leaves were falling, we would make a pile as big as we could.

When we became worn out, it was back up the hill for some desert. With the fire blaring, we roasted marshmallows. My favorite part and the thing that I couldn't live without was tootsie pops. When the day came to a close and we headed home, I knew that we were on the road to the holidays.

Back in the day, before I was even born, the family picnic literally was the beginning of Christmas. Each family would go and pick out their Christmas tree that would be delivered to them.

My family picnic was always my favorite memory. From the day on, Christmas was within reach and I couldn't be more excited. Christmas in October is my dream for my future family.