Christmas In July: The Harsh Reality Of Xmas Addiction

86

I’m addicted to Christmas movies. You know those beautiful, cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies that you see advertised year after year? Yeah, those are the ones. I love those movies. Those random movie theater Christmas movie successes like Last Holiday with Queen Latifah and my all time favorite, The Holiday, make the list, too. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most obsessed with these movies, I’m at least an 11. And that’s putting it lightly. I’ve watched the Hallmark original movie, A Christmas Kiss, probably 50 times in the past few years, along with Holiday Engagement. Now before you go off saying I’m crazy, I haven’t watched the movie all the way through 50 times, okay? I know I’m not the only one who puts on something they already know the ending to so they can listen to something and pass the heck out at night. Sometimes, I’ve started some of these movies and fallen asleep within five minutes of turning it on. What can I say? They relax me! And 50 times is probably an exaggeration, it's not like I actually keep track of how many times I watch a movie.

These movies make me feel at ease and genuinely happy. If I’m upset or in a bad mood, these cheesy movies make me feel better. There is something about these films, even if the characters are going through a tough time, that lifts my spirits and makes it feel like it's Christmas all year round. I work retail, so Christmas isn’t exactly the easiest time to enjoy everything I love about the holiday because it feels like I’m always working. These movies give me the chance to fill in some of what I missed out on! Oddly enough, Halloween is my favorite holiday, but the Christmas season brings out some of the happiest and most adorable movies that I just can’t resist. Next to romcoms, Christmas movies are my weakness... I just can’t say no to them.

Since it’s now July, Hallmark has been playing Christmas movies nonstop for their 'Christmas in July' segment. You know what that means? Yeah, I’m spending my afternoons and evenings binging on these movies like a weirdo. But, at least I’m a happy weirdo and in my eyes, I’d rather be happy and a little on the weird side for watching Christmas movies year round, than sad and have to wait until the day after Thanksgiving to start watching them like some other people do. Watching them now keeps that Christmas spirit alive. Most of the time, they have a happy ending and it’s heart-warming to see.

In the words of Kate Winslet in The Holiday: “I like corny. I’m looking for corny in my life.” Say it loud, Kate! Who cares if they’re corny? They make me and thousands of other people smile each year. I love Christmas movies and I’m going to keep on watching them. Who says there's a rule about when you can watch them anyway? Besides, it’s July. It’s practically almost Christmas.