11 Times "Chopped" Described Your College Experience

Welcome to the chopping block.

47

It’s time we give some recognition to one of the best cable TV shows out there. No, I’m not talking about The Walking Dead or Mr. Robot or Arrow. I’m talking about the one and only Chopped on Food Network. Yes, that beautiful show that pits four chefs against each other to create appetizing and impressive dishes from random basket ingredients. This show leads to plenty of… unique moments that I think can apply to college life. So, without further ado: chefs, please open your baskets.

1. When you go into a test without studying

Sometimes you study, and sometimes... you're John. But that's okay. Once you make this mistake once or twice, it doesn't happen again. Usually.

2. When you do better on something than you thought you did

This is maybe one of the best things about being in college. Getting a good grade on an assignment or test after thinking that you did terribly on it is an amazing feeling. Awful, then amazing. It could be worse.

3. When you do worse on something than you thought you did

This. This is worse. This is possibly one of the worst things of being in college. I don't want to talk about this too much. I'll get emotional.

4. When you're having a bad day and things just keep happening

Ever have one of those days where nothing is going right, and when another bad thing comes your way, it just seems like it might as well happen? Yeah. Not the best. Especially in college when those days seem to come around at least once a week.

5. When there's an event and free food/t-shirts are being offered

You think I'm just going to sit by while free clothing or pizza is being handed out? You are wrong, my friend. College kids don't play around when it comes to free stuff.

6. When you don't get enough sleep so you turn to caffeine instead

Hello darkness, my old friend. When you're in college, tired is more than just a state of being: it's a lifestyle. So sometimes you just have to suck it up and get some coffee, soda, tea, or whatever else just to last through the day.

7. When you see college kids in the same situation as you

I'm not sure that there's much else I can add to this, because it's very on the nose. We're in this together, guys. Stay strong.

8. When family members try to comment on your state of wellbeing

"Okay, so you're trying. We can see that you're trying. And, uh... You're doing a really good job. At trying."

9. When the work in all of your classes starts ramping up at the same time

In fact, the dramatic music escalates. You reach peak stress levels but at the same time you try not to stress too much. This point of the semester is basically the 1-minute warning in Chopped where the chefs are all running around trying to get their dish finished.

10. When you talk with other students about college tuition and student loans

I use "economy" in this sense to mean the economy of college students' wallets. Even when we have jobs we perpetually feel broke. Fun times.

11. When you realize that your college experience is what you make of it

Much like a basket in Chopped, your college life can be a great one or one that sorta looks like you just tossed all of it in the ice cream machine and hoped for the best. Study hard, focus on the present, and just have fun! Because sometimes, when life hands us the oddest ingredients, we can make the most beautiful things out of it.