Cheating and Plagiarism Accusation: How an Academic Misconduct Attorney Can Defend You

An academic misconduct accusation at a college or university can negatively affect a student's academic experience and future.

4

It can make it hard for them to continue on their educational or career path. Sometimes, students may violate an academic disciplinary and honor code without realizing it. Today, as students can use the internet and other electronic sources for conducting research and doing their assignments, they may intentionally or unintentionally include language from their sources into their own work without proper attribution. Some students may even use online papers as their own or not disclose work other students made.

The Administrative Hearing Process

If you have been accused of disciplinary violations such as cheating or plagiarism at your college or university, you will be subject to an administrative hearing which seeks to determine whether you have committed a violation and the possible sanction you will face. Unfortunately, unlike criminal proceedings where a defendant is afforded due process, administrative hearings lack due process. Because of such complexity, it is often best for the accused to have an academic misconduct attorney on their side.

A misconduct lawyer can represent and advised a student accused of plagiarism or cheating. They can help them design their defenses and think of ways on how they can approach their case to achieve their desired results. Usually, the approach involves putting pressure on the educational institution to make sure it provides the accused with a fair proceeding.

Why Hire an Attorney

Universities and colleges charge students with academic misconduct for different infractions. For instance, a student can be brought before academic misconduct boards for plagiarizing, selling or giving test answers, circulating past tests, and others. Such hearings result in damaged transcripts, suspension, academic probation, and even expulsion. So, if you have been accused of academic misconduct, having an attorney on your side ensures an expert will fight the accusations, ensure the institution follows its policies, and protect your rights.

If you think you have been wrongly charged with cheating or plagiarism, it is best to speak with an attorney. The lawyer's experience can help protect your rights in disciplinary proceedings and inform you whether or not you have legal remedies. It is important to contact a lawyer early on because school discipline tends to move quickly from the alleged misconduct to punishment imposition. The administration proceedings will obstruct the education process, consume your daily life, and cause undue stress. Your attorney will conduct their own investigation and prepare your defense.