Chase's Declassified Freshman Year Survival Guide

Freshman Year of College: The Break Down

18

Freshman year of university is one of the most life altering experiences an individual can go through. You will be met with challenges unlike any other, and realize that you don't have the same support system to get through them that you dolt home.

Dorming.

Dorms are the perfect place for conflict to brew. If you are lucky, you and you're roommate will get along swimmingly, but if you're like most of us, it will be hell. Living in cramped quarters with someone who has radically different habits, schedules, and beliefs than you can result in a few arguments. Here is the good news: it's normal. You don't have to be friends with your roommates and you should definitely not force it. In fact, you should probably come into the year with the understanding that you won't be friends. It just makes it easier in the long run. Another important thing to remember is that YOU can be the problem too. In order to avoid major conflict, I recommend to focus on a few things:

1) You live in a shared space and you are responsible for keeping your side cleanly and hygienic.

2) Be cautious of your noise level at ALL hours of the day. College is hard and people need naps.

3) Be respectful of what is and isn't yours. ASK before you borrow.

4) DO NOT SHARE FOOD IT JUST LEADS TO FIGHTS.

Class.

Your first day of class will lead you to realize something: college is not all that different from high school. Don't worry. Everyone is new and thinking the exact things you are. Here are my tips for that first day of class:

1) Pick a seat next to someone who looks prepared. If you forgot something they might be able to help you out.

2) Exchange phone numbers with at least two people in every class you have. Missing one day of college class is like missing a week of high school.

3) Be respectful and listen intently to your professor.

4) Write down EVERYTHING. You probably only have this class once or twice a week and you WILL forget at least something between classes.

Homework.

Do it. There's not much more to say about that.

Food.

Meal plans suck. It's just the truth. Even the best meal plans get boring after a few months. So, you need to stock up on all your favorite snacks to keep at home. By mixing it up you will keep yourself happy with the options in your cafeteria for longer.

Additionally, you should be taking vitamins or supplements while attending school. Your university buys food in bulk and freezes it. It will NOT be nutritious enough, just trust me on this one.

Exercise.

The freshman 15 is real. Don't doubt it. Make sure you are getting to the gym 3 or 4 times a week to burn off all those french fries you've been eating in the cafeteria. At the very least you should go for a walk every day (no, your walk to class does not count as exercise).

Partying.

Don't be stupid.