Nothing going right

When Nothing Is Going Right, Go Left

Go any direction opposite of the one you're going now.

73
When Nothing Is Going Right, Go Left
https://unsplash.com/photos/pKeF6Tt3c08

"When nothing is going right, go left" is an all too common expression. Despite its catchy witticism, when you hear it you probably shake it off and roll your eyes. At least that's what I did whenever I would be frustrated and hear this phrase.

This week, however, I have found a deeper meaning through this little piece of advice. Through stress, tears, and the calamity of everyday life, I was able to find peace of mind with this quote.

Sometimes it seems like the world is coming at you. One thing after another, you feel like you can't seem to catch a break. Although I hate playing the victim and feeling sorry for myself, sometimes I can't help but think Why me? Why now?

But this is where the phrase comes into play. It can mean a number of different things to different people, and any quote is what YOU make of it to help yourself psychologically. But to me, it simply means to change the way you think about hard situations.

This is something that I tend to struggle with because I lack courage and thick skin. Sometimes it's hard for me to look past the bad things going on in life and find the fortitude to stand up to it. However, when I came across this quote, it gave me the push I needed to stop sulking and change my mindset.

When nothing is going right, go left. Look at each day as a new one and a chance to start fresh. If you can let go of a negative expectation in some important area in your life, you really can experience a wonderful new beginning. Letting go of negative thoughts and fears can allow the universe to direct you onto a new and very hopeful path.

If you are resisting something, then going left has to go with going with the flow. This means accepting the way things are, rather than forcing things to be the way you think they should be. It means recognizing blessings in disguise. It also involves listening to our gut and following our intuition.

And sometimes it means realizing we can't go through these things alone and asking for help. This is a personal weakness of mine. Given that I am 21 years old, a senior in college, and supposed to be "adulting", I try to handle tough situations on my own when I am in no way, shape, or form ready to.

If you take anything from this, I hope it is to find the positive in the negative. And to look for the silver lining in every situation. And to see every day as a new opportunity for happiness. And I understand this mindset doesn't just happen overnight. It took me a while to look for the light in things, as well. Start in simple terms. If you wake up late and barely make it to work, well at least you have a job. If you run out of gas or blow a tire, at least you have a car. By taking these baby steps and training your mind to think this way, everything around you will start to change.