Caught In The Mosh

Caught In The Mosh

Tips to surviving a mosh pit

132
Caught In The Mosh
Hit The Floor

Concerts are amazing. You're in a room with people who enjoy the same music and artists that you do, singing along to every word and dancing or doing whatever to the music. Some are carelessly throwing their bodies in every direction in a designated open area of the crowd, while others look on with smiles, pushing and shoving to keep the fun going.

Mosh pits are a fun thing that people do when they are at a metal or hardcore show. It's where the crowd engages with the music and lets everything out. Pushing and shoving, swing arms and legs, and running around in a circle (called a circle pit) is a great way to get the show going and to show the band you are enjoying what's going on. But, the mosh pit has gained a bad rep ever since it's been happening, due to the danger it presents to concert goers and those who participate in them. I myself have been in the pit for many shows and have been hit and knocked over a few times. I sustained some minor injuries and soreness, but it's all in fun. If you are going to mosh, there are things that you have to be mindful of, other than where you are. There is actually an unwritten code for the pit that basically says to respect others and look after one another. If you are going in the pit, here a few tips that may help you out.

Plan ahead: You see a show you want to go to and are going to buy tickets. Find out if it is standing room only, or if there is seating. If you don’t want to stand the whole time, try to find seating. If it's SRO, try to find the best place for you to stand so you don’t get to caught up in the pit and the people in it. If you are planning on going into the pit, stand around for a while and see how the pit opens and closes as the show progress. Watch how many people are in at the most time and try to time your moments carefully.

Be mindful of where you are: The thing about a mosh pit is that it doesn’t stay in one part of the crowd. The pit can grow larger as time goes on, and the only thing keeping the people in the pit is the rest of the crowd around it. People outside the pit are doing what they can to keep the people in the pit in it or out of it the entire time, and keeping everything as safe as possible. If you are standing on the outside of the pit, you are still going to get hit or pushed and shoved as people are moving. Try to find somewhere where you won’t get hit or pushed a lot. If you are in the pit, people are moving fast, so try to keep your head up, be mindful of where you are and others in the pit to avoid hitting others or hurting yourself.

Careful getting in or out: Along with being mindful, if you are trying to get in or out of the pit, it is all about timing. The song is going heavy and the people are moving fast swinging their arms and legs everywhere. Stand on the sidelines and pick your opening to jump in and do what you do. If you’re trying to get out, try to get to the surrounding people and find an opening where you can get out to avoid colliding with someone or getting hit. Being in or out of the pit is all about being aware of your surroundings.

Listen to your body: Your body can only do so much and take so much. Listen to your body and feel if it is time to stop. If something is hurting too much for you, try to find your way out of the pit to tend to yourself and rest up. The people around you can and will help you with getting out of the pit; the crowd and can get you to somewhere where you can be safe. Also, be mindful of the security and staff of the venue, as they can help you get out of a dangerous spot.

Be Respectful and help others: This is part of the unwritten code of the pit that is actually a real thing people do. If someone falls down, people immediately try to help them get up and to a safe spot. Be a good person and try to help someone up if they fall. If someone drops something in the pit, pick it up and hold it up high; others will notice this and try to point you out so you can return it to the owner. Hold it on the side of pit while that person is still moshing so that they can get it from you when they are done, as they most likely won’t notice they dropped something in the moment. If someone isn’t looking good, check on them to see if they’re okay and try to help them if they are not. If you hit someone while in the pit, go up and see if they are okay; most of the time they will say they are good, shake it off and shake your hand or fist bump you. Believe it or not, people in the pit have respect and will respect you if you do the same thing.

Don’t start fights: This is a reason pits get a bad rep. People like to start fights in the pit for no reason, usually drunk people. THIS IS NOT OKAY. Most people will not be happy with you and you will ruin the fun for everyone. Again, people in the pit actually have respect (as I have personally seen in every pit I have been in) and will call you out on your crap if you are acting up and causing trouble. YOU WILL BE MOCKED AND ESCORTED OUT.

Fuel up: Being in the pit puts your body to work. DO NOT GO IN ON AN EMPTY STOMACHE OR DEHYDRATED. Your body will hate you. In personal experience, not eating will cause you to get a headache, cause muscle cramps, and cause your body to hurt a lot more during and after. Always eat before you go to a show, and try to eat something that won’t upset your stomach. Also drink water, as being hydrated will also help in reducing cramps and fatigue. It’s also good to take a break in between songs and just stand in a spot and sing along.

What is the pit doing: Continuing from the being mindful of what’s going on, always pay attention to what the pit is doing. The pit and people in it moves and grooves to what the song is doing, and sometimes the band will call out an action in the pit. If people are flailing and throwing arms and legs, it is a flail pit; try not to do something different. If people are pushing and shoving, do that and nothing else. Move with what the pit is doing and it will make it (slightly) safer and easier to work your way in and out. People in the pit will sometimes start running in a circle, mostly called out by the front man of the band. This is called a circle pit. It will most likely be moving counter clockwise. GO WITH THE DIRECTION OF THE CIRCLE. Run in the same direction with hands out front to touch the back of someone in front of you to keep the circle going. For safety try to stay in the center or outside the circle.

Crowd Surfing: Crowd Surfing is the act of a member of the crowd getting picked up and carried up to the front of the barricade by the rest of the crowd where security will help you out. This is just as dangerous as moshing because you can get dropped and severely hurt. It is best to crowd surf if you are at least halfway away from the stage or in front of the pit. This makes it easier and quicker for you to be taken to the front and will make it easier and quicker for the security up front to notice you and prepare to help you down and out of the crowd and escort you to the side of the barricade safely back into the crowd. To execute a surf, turn to the people next to you and ask them to lift you up. They will do so, and others help to get you up and move you forward. Keep your head up in preparation for someone to come down on you and try to help them stay up and carry them forward.

For the ladies: Believe it or not, girls go just as hard in the pit as guys do, and they like it just as much. The pit is open to everyone and anyone, and that's how it should be. With that being said, let the ladies enjoy moshing as much as the rest are and as always keep your hands off them. Starting fights in the pit is one thing, but trying to cop a feel on a girl in a pit, or at a show in general no matter what, will have you facing a ton of angry concert goers looking to beat you senseless, and probably being called out by the band for your immediate removal.

Rest: The show is over; everyone is leaving, buying their last bit of merch and your body is now going into rest. What happens here is that you body will feel like you were at the gym and it was "everything" day. Your muscles are sore and it is hard to move due to everything hurting. Go slow, take it easy and try to get home safe. I should have mentioned before that stretching may be a good idea before the show, but your body will still hurt after. Try to get some food and water, maybe a Powerade; maybe take some Advil or Aleeve or whatever you prefer and just rest. Try to move and let your body heal up. It may take a few days removed from the show, but your body will regain its strength.

These are just a few tips to help you out at your next metal, punk, or hardcore show. Hope this helps you or a friend out in having a great time in the pit and hopefully, it will help you stay safe and from getting you or someone else hurt. In the words of Kid Rock, “Get in the pit and try to love someone.”

BIG Thanks to my friends: Will Leister, Amy Bray, Tyler King, Alexander Campell and Jordan Phipps for your input; you may not have been used, but it was good input nonetheless.