To The Catholic Women In Today's World, Be Brave, And Be Who God Meant You To Be

You stand out as different, but that's ok.

144

Recently, I had the amazing opportunity to attend an event called SEEK2019. (See my last article On how SEEK changed my life) While there, I had the honor to meet many, many amazing speakers who are amazing examples of faith and what it means to live an authentic and Catholic life in this world. One of the amazing people I got to meet, was a fantastic and beautiful woman named Emily Wilson Hussem.

She recently wrote a book called "Go Bravely: Becoming The Woman God Created You To Be." (spoiler! That's what this article is about!) I got to talk to her for a few minutes and she is just so amazing. She is a renowned Catholic speaker, worship leader and has an amazing and inspiring vlog on youtube. (Check it out! It's not just for Catholics)

Her book, which I am currently reading, is amazing and is aimed for women who not only need encouragement as women of faith, but for those who are wondering if there is more to life, and for any women out there who realize that it is tough to be an authentic woman in this world. The world is telling us that we have to do this or that to be beautiful. We have to do this or that to fit in.

A big thing I've dealt with as a young Catholic college woman who is not doing everything that the world wants me to. Being in college (especially at a non-christian college) there is an immense amount of both verbal and even nonverbal pressure from the world and fellow college students to live the "college experience." That if you are not drinking, partying, hooking up, having sex with your boyfriend, then you are not experiencing the "full college experience."

That you stand out in a way that the world tells us is bad or weird. I was invited to many parties before I even started classes as a freshman. I haven't been treated harshly. I am not saying that non-Catholics/non-Christians are bad. Not at all. But there is still that pressure of why you aren't doing what everyone else is doing? It isn't that bad, so why does it matter. A big thing that people don't always understand is that I choose to save sex for marriage.

It is not because I think it is bad. It is because by waiting, I am telling my future husband that I love him enough to wait for him. That he is worth waiting for. It is also because I respect myself and my body. What I mean by this, is that if you are in a relationship that requires you to give of your body in an intimate way, you have now given apart of yourself to that guy. Not everyone dates one guy.

And if we are getting intimate with every guy we date, not only are we not respecting ourselves and the men, but we are again saying that our future spouse is not worth the wait. When being intimate with someone who is not our spouse, we are actually lying with our bodies. With our bodies, we are saying we are totally theirs. That we are committed and bonded to this person. That is why so many women stay in abusive relationships because they are chemically bonded to that person and apart of them now belong to that person.

A few challenges I want to leave you with are these: 1. Have high standards. Don't settle for just anyone. Don't settle for that guy who wants you just for your body. Don't settle for someone who makes you be anyone other than yourself. 2. Read Emily Wilson Hussem's book: Go Bravely (you can get this book at Barnes and Noble and probably Amazon too)

3. Also, check out Emily's vlog on youtube. 4. Lastly, if you are a college student, check out the Newman Center at your campus or the local church if you don't have a Newman Center. Talk to the FOCUS missionaries if you have some on your campus. Simply be yourself. Whether it is a friendship or a relationship if you have to be anyone but yourself, then it is not a healthy relationship, and you should not be in it. God Bless you and check out Emily Wilson Hussem, her book, and her vlog!