Cantina: The Only Best Downtown Bar I'll Frequent

3

It’s not often that I am easily swayed by advertising. Admittedly, a lot of times upon seeing a McDonalds commercial, I may end up buying a 50 piece McNugget and three Big Macs, but usually nothing else. Except one thing: Corona. Corona’s “Find Your Beach” campaign has always got me. Maybe it was the spring breaks I had sucking down lime infused Coronas, or maybe it was all the Cinco De Mayo memories I’ve had while enjoying my favorite import from Mexico. That’s why a few Tuesdays ago, when I heard that Park Street Cantina was the establishment in the State of Ohio to have Corona on tap, I knew I had to check it out. Plus it was Taco Tuesday, and who could pass up all you can eat tacos for $6.99? Not this guy, that’s for sure.I had other motivations for checking out the place, however. I remember one night, long ago, I ended the night at Cantina, and I recall having a fantastic time. I didn’t have much desire to go back until I heard that Sam Michael, the owner of Formaggio, had purchased the place. Formaggio being the destination of nearly every night out, who had always offered me fantastic specials, had to be just as awesome as Cantina.Upon entering the building, I was amazed at the atmosphere. It was much different than last time. I felt more welcome than before, and I had the vibe that I could just kick back, drink some $5 Corona pitchers, and eat gourmet tacos until my stomach couldn’t possibly make room for any more delicious Mexican goodness. After having my fill of tacos, Sam showed me around the bar, and told me a little bit of the plans for what Cantina would become. The first room I saw was the Tequila Room, which had the most expensive and fanciest of tequilas, with bottles ranging upwards of $3,000. Obviously that was out of my price range, so I shifted on over back to the bar where I got a $5 Coronarita (which if you haven’t ever had, you need to, because it’s the most amazing invention possibly ever). I found it to be more delicious than any other margarita (which I normally don’t like) I had ever tasted.  Apparently that’s because Cantina makes all of their own margaritas from scratch, one of the only places I know that actually does that.
 My first margarita was in Vegas, when I was out there on New Year’s Eve for my 21st birthday. Despite the fact it was Vegas, I didn’t really like it all that much. Plus it was wildly expensive, unlike the margaritas at Cantina. Sam told me that Cantina is basically an all in one bar. They offer all kinds of services for events: bottle services, VIP service, the Tequila Bar, and coming soon, a whiskey bar. Cantina has already been host to all kinds of high end events, and any kind of formal or big event could probably be arranged by contacting Sam. He has always been very flexible for our events that we’ve scheduled. And even if you can’t afford the high end stuff, like the $4,000 bottles of scotch in the new whiskey room, Happy Hour deals like those $5 dollar Corona pitchers make it affordable for even us broke college students to have a good time. I wrote this article, not because I do puff or PR pieces, but because I have always been treated well by both Formaggio and now Cantina. Sam is a helluva good business man, and also a great overall dude. Like I said, I’ve never really been big on the whole downtown scene (normally because I couldn’t afford it), but this bar might change my perspective on that whole idea. Follow them on Twitter (@ParkStCantina) for daily specials and to find out how normal college students can have an affordable and fun night downtown.