All The Benefits Of Starting A Bullet Journal
Hobbies

A Bullet Journal Is The Best Way To Relax And Keep Your Life On Track, Just Trust Me

A hobby way less violent than its name implies.

84
Lauren waiford

Within the last few years, bullet journaling has become quite popular and all over Pinterest, you can find posts of elaborate spreads.

If you're new to the bullet journal, or "bujo" world, it's basically a notebook with dots instead of lines or grid lines that allow you to create a custom planner/agenda. A lot of the spreads are very detailed, which can be really intimidating if you aren't too artistic. However, have no fear, you can still make a beautiful bullet journal with no artistic talent.

I am a very visual person; if the aesthetic of my work environment isn't just right I have to work somewhere else. So, naturally my agendas have always been color-coded and a little over the top. To say I was excited when I started getting into bullet journaling is an understatement.

Creating my weekly spread is my favorite part of my Sunday night because not only are my Sunday scaries alleviated a little, it's therapeutic to just draw and write in my schedule for the week (I feel like my life is together too). I can spend either 10 minutes or an hour making a weekly spread, depending on the level of detail I want to put into it.

Aside from the therapeutic aspects, I find that because I take time creating my weekly spreads, that I use my agenda more than before because I want to make sure I use what I spent time creating.

If you're just starting to enter the bujo world, I would advise creating a monthly spread at the beginning of each month for major due dates and important events (like in a traditional agenda) and then at the beginning of the week create a two-page weekly spread.

Example of a two-page weekly spread@amandarachlee on Instagram

My favorite black writing pens to use are the Faber-Castell Artist Pens that come in a 4-pack with different thicknesses because they're India ink meaning that they don't bleed through, and they're only $10.99 on Amazon (double win).

For colors, whether it be to literally color or just outline something, I HIGHLY recommend the Dual Brush Tombow Pens because the colors are gorgeous and also don't bleed through the pages. There are also a ton of different packages of the pens with fun colors.

I also really recommend the Midliner Highlighters; they come in a pack of 17 and are double-ended with a marker on the other end. These are mainly for outlining or highlighting dates and deadlines, but I also use them religiously for note-taking in class.

Again, spreads do NOT have to be perfect or extremely artistic. You can truly just draw a few lines and write the date as long as it keeps you on track, but I will say it is fun to play around with new drawing ideas (I suggest roaming around Pinterest for some inspiration).

@jashiicorrin on Instagram

This is an example of a fairly simplistic weekly spread that anyone can do with a ruler and pen. You can also see what the black pens I talked about look like, as well as the dual brush pens.

Whether you're extremely artistic or don't have a single artistic bone in your body, bullet journaling can be for anyone who wants to try a new way to get organized and take just a little bit of time at the beginning of the week to get in order.

I have had a bullet journal for over a year now and it's my pride and joy (ask anyone who knows me, they've seen it probably more times than they care to).

Happy journaling!