To The Brothers I Never Had

To The Brothers I Never Had

I've realized I never really needed a brother; I had you.

78
To The Brothers I Never Had
Taylor Martinek

I had always wanted a brother.

It's probably because I knew I would never get one that I had always wished so hard. I never just wanted one brother either. I wanted many, all different ages both older and younger. In my head, big brothers were protectors. Sure, they would pick on you, but at the end of the day they were always looking out for you. For the eldest child of two, the idea of someone watching out for me was an intoxicating fantasy. I also had the idea that younger brothers were really cute. Sure, they'll grow out of it, but as a ten-year-old myself, it was hard to imagine any of us growing up. But that family just wasn't in the cards for me. I was born the oldest child with a younger sister. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister and couldn't imagine life without her. But I couldn't help but wonder what life would have been like with brothers. It's too bad at that age that I couldn't see what I already had.

I had you. All of you. While I was not blessed with brothers of my own, I was blessed with cousins. You became my "brothers." You played tractors with me. You taught me how to climb trees (even though I wasn't supposed to) and how to throw a football. You pulled pranks with me. You let me in to the clubs and forts we built every holiday. You treated me as more than a friend and cousin, you treated me like a sister.

Thank you for everything you have done for me and the other three girls in the family. You may never understand it, but I wouldn't be me without all of you. Thank you for always making me laugh. Thank you for putting up with my whining, I know I can get a little obnoxious at times, but hey, what are sisters for? Thank you for teaching me to be strong. You never treated me as a weak girl. I had to earn everything just like anyone else. That is a mentality that has stuck with me my whole life. Thank you for looking out for me. It's nice to know I have people watching over me and my decisions (even if you do coddle me at times). Thank you for being the annoying brothers I have always wanted.

As I've grown up I've realized I don't need to wish for a brother anymore. I have all the brothers I could wish for.

Sincerely yours

Your loving "Sister"