To Every Adult Entering The New Year, Let Your Inner Child Out
New Year

To Every Adult Entering This New Year, Allow Yourself To Bring Out Your Inner Child

No matter what anyone says, there isn't a single person that wants to be serious all the time.

60

I understand that the entire premise of this article might be easier said than done, but if it helps someone go forward in this direction even a little bit, it's all worth it.

Whether you have resolutions for this year or not, I think it's important to always have some sort of goal in the back of your head. Sometimes, separating it from a resolution makes it more likely for us to carry through with it.

So, what am I referring to here?

If you're an adult — whether you just turned 18 or are well into your years of adulthood — please, don't neglect your inner child.

Your inner child is the part of you that gets excited about things! The part of you that can't wait to see that movie or meet up with that friend; the part of you that randomly wonders what makes the sky blue on a sunny day or just wants to keep staring at the stars on a clear night.

Your inner child is the part of you that is curious, funny, silly, innovative, and perhaps above all... hopeful.

With everything that you have experienced and undergone throughout your life, don't you think it's time to give to yourself, and not just of yourself? And to do this, fuel the parts of you that make you feel alive. Be conscious of the things/people/places that catch your attention, make your eyes feel sparkly, can't help but make you smile, and ignite a burst of firey laughter within you.

And if you're worried about the responsibilities you have of taking care of your family, watching out for friends, running errands for the house, and other such things, know that you'll be able to do all of that better when the child in you gets a little more attention.

As we grow up, showing emotion becomes less and less acceptable and it doesn't matter if it's happiness or sadness. Adults are expected to "have it all together" and be quite stoic on the outside.

For anyone who is struggling with this, please know that not showing emotion is not what makes you an adult, it's how to show the emotion given the externalities.

That's why it does no good to suppress the child inside of you which really doesn't want to go away (and doesn't have to). To the adult reading this, give yourself some time this year to explore and do the things that make you feel alive again. To the soon-to-be adults finding themselves in a similar situation, this message is for you, too.

Please pass this on to anyone who may benefit. A little push can go a long way.

Have a beautiful New Year! <3