Ladies, Stop Calling Yourself A Brat
Lifestyles

Ladies, You’re Not Cute When you Call Yourself A Brat

You're a grown woman, so start acting like it.

2216

There are so many articles, tweets and Facebook memes of girls calling themselves brats that I can't even pick what I should reference, so I'll just call out every girl. Whether they've shared those pieces or written them, this is for all the girls who call themselves brats.

Calling yourself a brat is not cute.

It is not something to be proud of. It is not something to advertise.

When a girl calls herself a brat, it tells me she's okay with throwing a fit or being passive aggressive when she doesn't get what she wants; she expects to be spoiled and given special treatment. She doesn't have to apologize for being disrespectful to the people around her, but instead passes it off as being sassy or "hangry."

"Brat" isn't a cute phrase, and it's never associated with cute behavior.

Why do girls want to be proud of that label?

Why do they expect that to be seen as a positive trait?

Brat is commonly used to describe someone who is spoiled and disrespectful—and expects to get away with those behaviors.

I can't begin to explain how terrible those traits are to have, so why advertise that about yourself?

The words we use to describe ourselves have a big impact on how we're seen by the world. Using the word "brat" proudly says someone doesn't respect themselves. By using words like "spoiled" or "brat," you're putting yourself in a bad light.

Sure, frat daddy Mitchell thinks you being a brat is a favorable trait, but new friends, employers and strangers don't think it is.

It says you expect to have rules bent for you.

It says you feel entitled to special treatment.

It says you don't respect yourself or how others view you.

Yeah, you can say "only God can judge" or you don't care what people think, but would you rather be seen as respectable and trustworthy or risk being perceived by people as an entitled snob?

It's demeaning and disrespectful to yourself to literally give yourself a bad name, and it's even worse to live up to it.

Don't expect the world to bow to you and your wants.

Don't expect people to sway to give you what you want.

Don't act like a child and call yourself one, too.

Act like an adult.

Have some self-respect.

Don't call yourself a brat.

You are not the toddler you babysit. You are a grown woman, and you should start acting like it and presenting yourself as one.

There are so many positive words we can use to describe ourselves, so stop acting like "brat" is one of them.