Brace Yourselves: Finals Are Coming

Brace Yourselves: Finals Are Coming

Some advice to help you weather the Finals storm.

100
Brace Yourselves: Finals Are Coming

Hopefully by now, everyone has recovered from the unique experience that is Foxfield and has made it through Sunday. While it's exciting (and if you're a nerd like me, sometimes sad) when classes end, the worst has yet to come: Finals week. Or, at UVA, weeks.

Here are some tips on how to handle it all:

Buy your blue books.

Nothing is worse than having a 9 a.m. final and having to wake up early to go and buy a blue book. Stock up now on both blue books and pens to prevent a panic attack.

Mix up your study spots.

Research has shown that changing up where you study fires up your brain and will make you remember more. It will also make you feel like you're logging less time studying if you change up the scenery. For those of you sick of Clem: Starbucks is open 24/7 during Finals week.

Exercise.

While it is easy to get overwhelmed by finals and you may feel like you don't have time, getting in a quick run or workout will actually alleviate your stress and help you remember more information. This is not just my advice; this is backed by science.

Eat and sleep.

You don't have to be a master chef here. Just make a sandwich or even grab one on the go. Try to get at least five hours of sleep before a final. Cramming isn't worth it if you fall asleep while actually taking the test.

Plan ahead.

If you are struck by the hellish experience that is two finals in one day (speaking from experience), plan ahead. Don't pretend you only need three hours to prepare for the next one. Start studying now to prevent major stress later.

If you are one of the poor souls that have a final on the last day, take heart. You are not alone. When you do finish, Beach Week or home are waiting. We made it.