The Power Of Loving Fiercely In A Broken World

Antiracism starts within your heart.

67
google.com

The whiteness of this page stares back at me, mockingly.

It taunts me with the easy option: to produce an incredibly tone deaf article about fun summer activities, movies to watch, or positivity. Instead, I will attempt the painstaking task of trying to put the complexity of my thoughts into words.

How can this continue to happen?

I am deeply saddened by the recent events of injustice we have all witnessed, specifically in relation to George Floyd, and I'm confused why it has taken such a heinous and utterly wicked act to awaken many people to the reality of pervasive discrimination in our country. I'm frustrated by the sheer display of performative allyship I've seen plastered on social media, with no tangible efforts made toward education. While awareness is necessary and helpful, I'd venture to say that an isolated chain post is not accounting for any real, substantive change.

What can I do?

As a young white woman, I recognize that I cannot even begin to understand the challenges faced by people of color. By calling out microaggressions as I see them, I am holding myself accountable.

As a student majoring in Peace and Justice, I commit to learning about the systemic injustices of society, their ramifications, and the history which has formed them. By doing so, I can help change them.

As a writer, I accept my responsibility to utilize the power of language by being an advocate. Expressing my support to the disheartened is one of many ways of using the platform I am fortunate enough to have for good.

As a human being, I yearn for a peaceful world in which every voice is heard, respected, and valued. I have cried tears for lives that are not my own, and I listen to stories that are not mine to tell.

When I am terrified that my idea of "help" isn't actually helping, what can I remind myself?

Love is not passive, but powerful. Loving ignites the hearts of people who rightly honor all life as beautiful, worthy, and worth protecting.

Loving fiercely matters. Educating yourself matters. Being an ally matters.

#BlackLivesMatter

-Lil

Recommendations below.

Reading List:

White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Greg Boyle S.J.
Privilege, Power, and Difference by Allan G. Johnson

Films to Queue:

13th
Just Mercy
When They See Us

Playlist Additions:

"Hope" by Emeli Sandé
"Glory" by Common & John Legend
"Now" by Miguel
"White Privilege II" by Macklemore, Ryan Lewis & Jamila Woods