Standing Up For Myself Does Not Make Me A Bitch
Politics

I have a backbone and it does not bend.

285

I work in construction – a male dominant industry. While I'm fortunate to work with a respectful group of guys, once in a while one of them will get on my case about something.

I'll give the recent example of driving back and forth between the shop and the job site each day. One of the guys wanted me to drive the company vehicle – which is fine with me – but he insisted I drive 80 mph on the highway.

I firmly said no, I will not put lives at risk and take the chance of getting a speeding ticket. He said, "Yes, you will." No. I will not. If he wanted the company vehicle to go that fast, I would not be driving. I stood up for myself. I refused to drive under that "requirement."

His response went something like, "Well you don't have to be a bitch about it."

What he called "bitchy" I call "backbone." If any other guy on the job site had been in my position, the situation probably would have ended differently.

"No, I won't drive that fast."

"Fine, I'll drive then."

End of discussion.

Why is it that women who stand their ground are bitches, but men who stand their ground are just men? We do not have to put our lives on hold to do what a man wants us to do. We do not have to risk our lives or the lives of others for the sake of a man. And we do not have to take orders from a man who is impatient.

Men need to realize we are just as human as they. They have just as much responsibility and accountability as us. Women are not on this plant to serve or obey men.