Bikes, Blues & BBQ

Bikes, Blues & BBQ

14

For five days, the streets of Dickson (and most of Fayetteville) are filled with motorcycles. This year I decided to see what it was all about.   

Bikes, Blues & BBQ supports over 22 charities, it’s a rally with a purpose. They have raised $600,000 through out the years.   

The activities are endless: live music, a “Miss BBB” competition, the firefighter’s Poker Runs, a BBQ contest, car show, air show, Parade of Power, an entire category of shopping and activities for the ladies and TONS OF FRIED FOOD.   

Hundreds of thousands of people come from all 50 states and even other countries. It is the largest motorcycle rally in the nation and also the largest fundraising rally.  Not only does it support local charities but also brings in tons of revenue for Fayetteville businesses.   

The closest I’ve ever come to being on a motorcycle is riding on the back of a scooter, but despite my lack of experience in “bikes”, I was able to enjoy Bikes, Blues & BBQ. Every biker I spoke to welcomed me with warmth and kindness. They clued me in on the best food stands and the booths with the free stuff.  The bikers are teachers, businessmen, bar owners, families etc.  

They all have background stories. With so many people from all over—the people watching is prime. It’s sort of incredible how people from all over can come together because of one common interest: motorcycles.   

Even if you know nothing about motorcycles (like me), checking out all of the bikes is still so cool; there are so many different kinds and types that all reflect the personality of the biker.   

While a lot of my classmates fled to Dallas this past weekend for the game and to avoid the ruckus of Bikes, Blues & BBQ—in 2015, if you’re in town, don’t be afraid to go on Dickson and enjoy everything BBB has to offer. You don’t have to be 21 to enjoy Dickson for the weekend because so many other activities are happening.   

Despite the noise complaints my twitter feed was full of, keep this in mind for the future: Bikes, Blues and BBQ is supporting a good cause, helping Fayetteville economically and letting people from all over see how amazing our city is. Overall, a weekend of loudness and crowds is worth it.