The Mueller Report is Bigger than Donald Trump
Politics

The Mueller Report Is Bigger Than Donald Trump

Don't be selfish. Regardless of your political affiliation, the Mueller report is important because of its impact on our democracy, not Donald Trump. Here's why.

69

As I said above, don't be selfish. Whether you are a Democrat, a Republican, somewhere in the middle, or Bernie Sanders, you have taken ownership of the Mueller report. In saying this, I don't mean that you have literally taken it for yourself. I mean that you, frankly all of us, have created a narrative in your head as to what it means. If I was a betting man, which I sometimes am, I would bet money that your narrative is centered around one main character: Donald Trump.

The Mueller Report is bigger, in scope and importance than Donald Trump. Get this through your thick skull. Whatever you identify as politically or otherwise, Donald Trump was and is not the main character in the Muller Report. Robert Muller has not spent the last two years of his life investigating Donald Trump. He has not spent the last two years investigating The Trump Campaign.

Robert Muller has spent the last two years investigating Russia's Interference in the 2016 Presidential Elections. Yes, that has included investigating the President as well as his campaign. Yes, that does include a number of the President's top officials during the campaign. Yes, that does include Donald Trump's friends.

However, the Mueller Report is much bigger than Donald Trump or his campaign. The true purpose of the report, the purpose of Robert Muller's investigation, was to determine whether or not Russia actively sought to influence the 2016 Presidential Elections. Don't be selfish. Whether or not your narrative reached its conclusion is not the important thing. The important thing is that Democracy, specifically the Democracy of The United States of America, is better because this work has been done.

In terms of scope, the investigation focused on Russian interference in the election, and anything that may arise in the process of investigation, including possible coordination by the Trump Campaign to influence the election. As of now, it seems the latter has been given clean marks. Additionally, the report included an investigation into possible obstruction of justice by Donald Trump. Those marks aren't as clean. Mueller stated, as was expected, that he could not make a determination on obstruction. That will be left to others.

The importance of this investigation cannot be overstated. For Democracy, this was a necessary thing. Democrat or Republican, you must admit that the investigation was necessary. Donald Trump has all along been calling it a witch-hunt. He is entitled to his opinion, but truthfully the president should be less critical of an investigation with the purpose of strengthening and illuminating our democracy. Any patriot, President or otherwise, should have been conscious of this fact.

That being said, the officials which have been investigating for the last two years never swore allegiance to a political party. Robert Mueller, although a Republican himself, never swore an oath to the Republican party. In today's partisan politics, this is an important thing to remember. If you are jumping for joy or beating your fist on the table upon hearing the conclusions of the report, it's important to make one major distinction.

Robert Mueller swore an oath to uphold the Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic.

In my book, Robert Mueller has done one hell of a job in his charged duties. Mueller was sent to South Vietnam during the Vietnam War, where he earned a Bronze Star for valor. Duties upheld. From 2001 to 2013 he served as the Director of the FBI. Duties upheld. For the last two years, he has served as the Special Council overseeing the Investigation into Russian Interference in 2016 Unites States presidential election. Duties Upheld.

As the findings of the report become available in the coming days and weeks, we will get a unique perspective into the operation of our Democracy. I for one am very excited about this perspective. Obviously, portions will be redacted and lines will be blacked out, but the report will suffer little loss for this.

Robert Mueller and his team issued 2800 subpoenas. Thirty-four people were charged with crimes over the course of the investigation. Russians and Americans were charged. Five members of the Trump Campaign pled guilty and accepted plea deals, one being found guilty in court. These facts are truly significant. Robert Mueller worked tirelessly to make sure that the people of the United States, whom he swore allegiance to, are better informed.

Regardless of your political affiliation, bad actors have faced their crimes because of this Report. People who would seek to undermine our democracy will no longer be able to. Our democracy is stronger because this work was done. We are better informed because this work was done. America is greater because this work was done.