'Big Mouth' Is Comedic Gold

'Big Mouth' is Comedic Gold

The Netflix series is binge-worthy for everyone that's over the age of 18.

83
'Big Mouth' is Comedic Gold
Netflix / Big Mouth

Netflix shows and movies are always hit or miss. Some cross the line, some get really close to it, and others are just short of being decent entertainment.

But the comedic genius Nick Kroll said to screw it all and produced and voiced in the best-animated show on Netflix, "Big Mouth."

The show covers the awkwardness of puberty, first kisses, relationships, and life in general for a group of Jewish preteens. What really makes this show the best is how it captures the story of Nick Kroll's youth, alongside his real-life best friend Andrew, whose life is also portrayed on the show, voiced by John Mulaney.

Each episode brings another real-life situation, which many viewers can relate to. When was the last time any kind of movie or TV show accurately captured what it's like to get your period, experience your first boner, or even cover teenage depression?

The one-liners are great, the callbacks to past episodes are on point, and the interactions between characters are spot on. Even the imaginary Hormone Monsters make these painful puberty memories just a bit more laughable.

Kroll's character, Nick, is the shortest in his grade and the least developed out of his group of friends. His buddy Andrew is overcome with his manhood, while other characters, like Jessie, deal with her parents' divorce or the lack of breast growth.

The show does an excellent job of taking all of the struggles of puberty and turning it into one huge laugh. The Hormone Monsters, which are basically the ones controlling the characters' puberty and emotions, aren't always coming up with the best and brightest ideas, which results in some feelings getting hurt, or someone getting caught masturbating in the bathroom to their best friend's sister's bathing suit. #awkward

But what about the other characters? Coach Steve is arguably one of the most entertaining characters to watch, while Nick and Andrew's parents are such total opposites that even their interactions are entertaining. Nick's friend group, including Andrew, Jessie, Jay, and Missy, as well as all the other kids, have their own crazy personalities and quirks and their own sense of shame, which is brought to light by the Shame Wizard.

Each episode continues the story, from Andrew's wrist being broken by Lola when he "rubbed fronts" with her then dumped her, to Nick touching his first boob, and Jessie running away from home with Jay. Even Coach Steve has his moment, where he loses his virginity to Jay's mom, subsequently losing his own Hormone Monster, Rick.

From all of the strange encounters with puberty to the everyday struggles of being a preteen to the catchy song and dance numbers, this show has changed the way we viewed our own childhood and made growing up just a bit funnier for all of us.

Season 1 and 2 are out on Netflix, so binge watch it now if you haven't already. Oh, and don't skip through the intro or credits, cause there are some funny moments happening.